Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #61

Re: Gardens - all this talk lets see pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Donna I think your improvements are fantastic. I think I would be empted to put a trellis in front/side of the shed and grow some climers in my case honeysuckle (I adore honesysuckle) in front of it, and maybe put some "wire" eyelets in the fence and garden wire across and growsome climers up the fence.
I think I'd take that little "wall down by your patio area" and take the gravel over that area and your skabs right down the path putting a woodenor brick "edge" down the grass side. to stop it spilling over and a nice decent sized slab (the only one) in front of the gate to stop it going out that way.
Or maybeeven raplace the paving with the new slabs leaving a gap so you can not cement in but put gravel in like DM did.

Therefore unifying the whole area path and patio area. You have the added bonus of having a nice sized garden. Choose some nice coloured slabs/stepping stone.

Karen
Thanks Kazz, the improvements so far have taken a year of hard work - not me alone, but my Dad came down every Sunday last year to help!!! It is his garden as much as mine, but he is about 70 now and I forget he is that old as he is still trying to do all the heavy stuff!! I tell him to leave it if it is too bad

I am pleased with the border as I have literally started from scratch. Although a little bare as the plants are so young. They should fill out a bit more and hopefully grow a bit taller to hide the fence.

The pathways are the problem - the bit before the patio where there are table and chairs is a different level to the patio so cannot blend them together. The rest of the paths can be shingled and slabbed all the way to the gate.

I want to get a trellis up the shed but that might encourage beasties and I dont want them getting in my shed. TERRIFIED OF SPIDERS

There is a pathway in front of the shed so cannot plant directly into ground but could do pots??

CONCRETE PATHWAY

PATIO AND AREA WITH TABLE AND CHAIRS

LEFT HAND SIDE NEIGHBOURS FENCE THAT THEY WONT REPAIR.

What do you think now???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
09-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #62

Donna if it was me I would get a sledge hammer to the patio area and break it down, then put a small retaining wall up where your grass is, therefore you could extend your patio area.

Also with the fence issue how about you replace the fence but this time use concrete posts (cost a bit more and are a bit more work) but they won't go anywhere and if the panels get damaged all you have to do is replace them (and send the invoice to next door neighbour they can pass it on to the landlord)

I would also grow some climbers up the fence

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #63

Well if it were me I would replace the fence panels myself regardless of who is supposed to do it.

Also I see the raised levels now, do you get any puddles on your paving now? if not it is draining away so the gravel won't cause you any problems. Get some weed killer and kill of the grass growing through the concrete. Then put some paving slabs/stepping stones bed them in on slab fix (do it bit at a time) when its finished get some gravel and put it it down leave the raised bit where the swinging seat is as it is its level it usable leave it alone.
If you hate creepy crawlies/spiders then don't put climbers up also I think where you sit the patio set put the slabs there closer together makes a more even siting area than just gravel.
Down the side passage put the slabs slightly off set from each other one slighlty more to the left then the next to the right rather than a straight line.
Maybe two together of the smaller size.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #64

Well if they dont do the fence soon I will have it done for the summer thats for sure as they are a nasty family.

The house is being painted shortly so that will improve looks a lot plus if I do the pathways it will be even better!!! Watch this space!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Could work out very well Fran, although I am not sure how reasonable it would work out if you have got a large garden, but they do supply the lawns for cruffs which I thought was interesting. You could always pave and gravel part of the garden to bring the cost down, perhaps have part of the garden with artificial grass.
Hubby likes the idea But is concerned how easy it will be to clear dog poop off it and we would need in excess of 100m2 so £1000 minimum. Haven't ruled it out though

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #66

Fran I wouldn't fancy trying to get dog poo off it either - that seems expensive too, how much would it be to slab it?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #67

Donna Just for you I have taken pictures of my front garden showing you what I have tried so badly to describe.

These were taken from the two bedroom windows - so you can see both sides. If you look at the house this is the left hand side from the gate down to the porch.This also shows the cat flap and the cats sun bathing slab just outside the catflap, a place to watch the world go by,

And the right hand side the opposite side of the porch.

And one of Cleo coming down the path from the house to the gate. She has to get in on the act - nosey old cat.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what I meant. Sorry about the state of the garden I have not been in the front at all this year

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Fran I wouldn't fancy trying to get dog poo off it either - that seems expensive too, how much would it be to slab it?

Karen
Well hubby can do it himself but he is so short of time that is why it didn't get done last year. He got a builder friend in to give us a quote but he hasn't got back to us yet with the price..

By the way your garden is lovely Kazz!!

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Hubby likes the idea But is concerned how easy it will be to clear dog poop off it and we would need in excess of 100m2 so £1000 minimum. Haven't ruled it out though
Wow that is quite a bit I wonder how easy it is to clean???

Catsey Veteran

09-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #70

Kazz your garden is very nice, an inspiration to us all