Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #11

Re: Gardens - all this talk lets see pictures

I took my camera to the allotment this morning - even came back into the house to collect it, having forgotten originally. As I approached it started to spot with rain, just before the roundabout where I could have turned back it started to hail, as I got into the allotments it hammered down with hail and rain. So, I sat in the car for 10 minutes, hurtled to the polytunnel and watered my things in there, which didn't get the benefit of the rain, sat in the car for another 10 minutes then came home. The streets were running with water.

So - no pictures!
Next time maybe!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
07-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #12

DM I would love to see pictures of your allotment, how often do you visit it??

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #13

Being March/April and the busiest time of year, I've been trying to go every day for the last week or so. After this month, when the majority of things are in and hopefully growing, I'll go down to a couple of times a week. Once things start to get productive it's great to crop daily - but that only takes a short time.
The 'experts' reckon you should allow a minimum of 2 hours per week, averaged out over the year.
I've tried to get more and more permanent plants, so less emphasis tons of work in short blasts at certain times of the year.
Pics as soon as I can. The camera is still in the 'take to the allotment' bag.

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #14

I have considered getting an allotment (there are some in the next village to us, but they look very very run down) but I do like the convenience of having my veggie plots, I would turn the whole garden into one if the OH would let me!!! lol Had to buy some more cucumber seeds today as I think my last one has been killed by frost (that will teach me to plant them out too early!!! ) lol

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #15

DM If you don't mind me asking how much to you pay in rent for your allotment?

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
DM If you don't mind me asking how much to you pay in rent for your allotment?
It's £24 a year Emma, and the 8' x 6' portion of the polytunnel is a fiver.
We are very lucky in having a brand new site (wasn't lucky starting the ground off), with good facilities. We have water, tarmac-ed roads & parking bays and a wonderful building, which houses lockers, a shop (Saturdays in summer only, but it's bulk buys etc much cheaper than the shops), the allotment office, toilets and a kitchen.
Again, pics when I can

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #17

This is my front garden about this time last year. The flowering cherries are just about to burst into flower (if the darned pigeons haven't eaten all the buds). It's taken from the top floor window so perspective's a bit weird - oh, and having checked out the window just now, lots of stuff is MUCH bigger!!

Also, the area on the right, between the cherry and the lilac is now filled in with yucca and some lower shrubs to stop my slobs of neighbours using my garden as a shortcut

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #18

Very pretty Yola!!!! how about a photo of your back garden ??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #19

At the moment Emma it's a bit odd looking as the grass we laid last year has not really taken and there is a LOT of muddy patches (interspersed with Dominik's pale green kiddy-sand)!!

However - I attach a picture from earlier last summer which shows the old 'patio' in the centre of the garden. This is now right up at the bottom end of the garden - from where the picture is taken, and there are laurel shrubs (mature ones - I splashed out on 4 x 6 footers last year), where the poorly apple trees once were on the left.

We (for that read 'I' ) hope to pave the garden during the summer - I'm pushing hard for this as it makes a north-facing and awkward space, usuable space for all!!

Catsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #20

Now that looks really nice!!!! It will be interesting to see pictures this year Yola