Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

A skeletal puss cat just came in to our care.

We were contacted by another rescue about a very thin, poorly cat someone picked up. They couldn't fit it in and we have no space at the moment due to looking after a friend's cat while they are away.
The person who picked this cat up, no chip or collar and suspected of being abandoned by a neighbour who moved away ( obviously we will advertise), cannot afford vet bills and this cat is very poorly.
Anyway, both the other rescue and ourselves were unhappy with leaving the cat untreated, and if my vets admit the cat for a few days we will have space for it, so that is what we are doing.
I am waiting for the vet to finish a horse call and will then drop off the cat for tests tomorrow, my obvious worry is that it is hyperthyroid, but we have no idea of age or even sex at the moment. Some may remember Pudding, it's in similar condition.
I've also taken in an old dog for foster care while his owner is in hospital. He is massively overweight and has a tumour on his back leg, suspected to be just a fatty lump, except it is huge and affecting his leg movement. My own vet feel he is not far from PTS, which is very sad because he is a bright, friendly boy. I so wish I could do something for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Re: A skeletal puss cat just came in to our care.

I hope you can do something for this poor cat, farthing. If anyone can, you can. Bless you!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
18-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

Thank God for people like you Farthing. We all do our best but you obviously go above and beyond. I do hope the little cat will recover and the thinness is not something serious. Perhaps the dog will lose a bit of weight while he is in foster care which will make him feel better, poor old chap. Lots of hugs to both the dog and the little cat, they are both fortunate to have people like you that are willing to go the extra mile.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
18-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Bless you for caring and doing as much as you can. So many needy animals out there

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #5

The cat is a neutered, long haired, black male cat. His bloods are good, FIV/ Felv negative, only thing is that he is slightly anaemic. We just have to wait for the thyroid test to come back.

Catsey Senior

18-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

So glad he is OK. Probably proper food and care will take care of the anaemia. Perhaps he could be flea ridden, that can cause anaemia can't it? What is he called and can we have pics?

Catsey Veteran

18-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

I'll get some piccies once he's home. He did have quite a lot of fleas and will be wormed on Sunday. I want to call him Bovril, but Mike isn't convinced, however the other rescue involved and the vet who first saw him both like the name, so far Mike is outvoted!
Forgot to say he also has a heart murmur, which again may indicate hyperthyroidism although his teeth are in good condition, which may contradict him being an older cat.

Catsey Senior

19-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #8

My Fecto has a heart murmur and it has never bothered him. He is now 12. If he has black, longhaired fur what about Marley as in Bob? Levi as in Levi Roots? Benjamin as in Zephania? Good news about the teeth, can't wait for pics.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
19-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

Hope little Bovril/Bob/Levi/Benjamin has settled a bit now. As always you have taken on a mountain of work but with your love and patience puss will pull through

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
19-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #10

Bless for all that you do. Can't wait to hear how he does.