Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
14-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Kitten + Dogs = ??

First off, I would like to say thank you to you all for helping me so much along the way. I also wanted to let you all know that I am sorry that I do not participate as much here as I should, but I do not know the answers nor have an educated opinions on anything related to cats. I don't want you to think that I do not participate because I don't want too, I just don't have much insight that can truly help anyone right now until I begin to build experience.

Second, I was hoping to get some insight on having dogs and cats living together. My dogs have never been around cats and all are over 4 years old. I have created such a bond with Cheddar in only 1 day and am contemplating on keeping him only if possible. The vet estimated him to only be about 10 days old.

What are your experiences with having non-cat savvy dogs learn to live with cats?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
14-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Re: Kitten + Dogs = ??

It is possible for dogs to live with cats if you can pre empt any dangerous situations. Don't let the dogs and cat be alone together unsupervised. Don't let the cat near the dogs when they are eating. Be watchful of jealousy.

We have 2 lurchers (greyhound cross, used for hunting) and a working terrier. They are all good with the cats but never left alone with them.

Is Cheddar the little ginger kitten? It depends on the dogs' attitude whether they will mix together. I hope all works out well. The vet may be able to give you more advice. It's difficult without knowing the dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

I have 2 cats and introduced an older springer spaniel to the house last year. Did it slowly keeping them apart to start with and slowly introducing them. They are fine when together now but I won't leave them alone if we are out. My springer is very protective of his things which we are still working on. But all in all they live in relative harmony.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
15-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #4

Hi Timber, I'm so glad you have decided to keep that sweet wee baby. At 10 days old, they are a real handful to feed and keep clean. I recently hand reared 3 kittens from one day old, so I know what a labour of love it is.Far worse than human babies. Your dogs will be fine with the kitten providing you supervise them closely. They will be curious at this stage.. You are lucky the kitten is so young and unable to move around. Let your dogs sniff him and make it clear to them that he is to be treated gently. They will know instinctively that he is very young and helpless.Once the baby gets a bit older ,be very careful when you feed your dogs. Don't let the kitten near the dogs food ,as the dogs may react.My mastiff, Willow, would love to chase any strange cat, but knows that she is not to touch my 5 cats.She co-exists peacefully with them but I always feed her separately in another room. Good luck with your new addition.I know it will work out if you are slow and patient.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

My Boxers were aged 6 & 4 when i introduced our first kitten. After first few hours the dogs lost interest the kitten skirted round them for about a week & then decided he was in charge x

Some six cats later lol

Catsey Senior

20-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
My Boxers were aged 6 & 4 when i introduced our first kitten. After first few hours the dogs lost interest the kitten skirted round them for about a week & then decided he was in charge x

Some six cats later lol

I hope my guys and Cheddar end up like your guys.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

My situation is a bit different - Monty was introduced as a puppy to our two cats, Kizzy and Pip. Monty and Kizzy have never got on and have avoided each other but with no aggression. Monty and Pip were initially quite good friends, rubbing up to each other and even playing a bit of rough and tumble, Pip being much larger than Monty at the time. But since Dora (lurcher X) arrived, Monty no longer recognises Pip as his puppyhood friend and there is a lot of barking when the dogs see either of the cats. We have to keep them separate all the time and would never leave them alone together. Dora's prey instinct is clear, she has killed a deer in our local woods and a hedgehog in our garden. Monty seems to be copying her.

From your photos it seems that your dogs will be tolerant - lucky that little Cheddar is so small, I guess the telling will be if and when the dogs see him running.

I know you will be vigilant!

Catsey Senior

22-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #8

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on something.

I noticed that sometimes when i'm not directly watching, Tynan will let Cheddar play with him, playfully pawing at Tynan and such. Then when I notice and watch and smile Tynan looks uncomfortable and walks away.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
22-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #9

Tynan probably thinks he's doing something wrong, sounds like he's being gentle though. Perhaps Tynan doesn't want to be thought of as a wuss, hanging out with a kitten.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #10

Isn't that odd? Perhaps he's worried about his street cred!