Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #1

Fireflies!

A very interesting article in Sunday's Post about the worldwide decrease in fireflies. It's become very noticeable in many areas, they're not sure if it's habitat destruction or light pollution interfering with their mating signals. Anyhow, it occurred to me that now I'd thought about it, there are much fewer in my neighborhood, compared to even 10 years ago, and especially to when I was a child. Have any of you noticed this also? Very sad...a real symbol of warm Summer evenings.......

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #2

Re: Fireflies!

You're right Eileen, I don't think I've seen any this year at all according to this link their population has dropped by 70% over the last three years..

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...ed-914472.html

Catsey Veteran

02-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

Mags, that's the identical article that was in the Post, word for word! It must have been picked up by AP! Thanks for posting that. You haven't seen any? I see maybe 3 or 4 when I'm sitting out on the porch after dinner...used to be dozens....did you used to catch them in jars when you were little?

Global Moderator

02-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #4

We haven't been having the nice warm evenings this year so that's probably why they aren't around

Jam jars! That takes me back Eileen, we used to catch butterflies, fireflies, hairy caterpillars etc when we were young..

Catsey Veteran

02-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Jam jars with nail holes punched in the lid so they could breathe...I'd take them to bed with me to watch them lighting up in the dark room, and Mom would take the jar after I was asleep and release them....kids childhoods are so different now....

Global Moderator

02-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #6

I think the kids of today miss out on a lot of the simple pleasures we had years ago, don't you?

Catsey Veteran

02-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #7

Absolutely! We used to go up and play in the woods for hours, ride bikes without helmets, help our Dads shoot off fireworks on the 4th, do all kind of things that probably weren't too safe, but certainly were fun! It may be safer now, but a lot of the spontaneous fun is missing. Not all change is necessarily progress.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #8

I must admit I have never seen a firefly at all! Dragonflies are usually a common feature in our garden in late August/early September. My OH has reported seeing one so far this year - I haven't seen any.

Catsey Veteran

02-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #9

Never seen a firefly, Angie? Come to think of it, I haven't seen a dragonfly, or a damsel fly, this year either...and they used to be fairly common. Pity, as they're not only gorgeous, they devour mosquitoes!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #10

I've never seen a firefly either We have quite a lot of dragonflies this year, both in the garden and around and about.

But I agree with the bikes and helmets comment. I never had a bike helmet (still don't), but Dominik won't even ride round the park on the grass without his helmet. I personally think it's over the top (OK if on the road or near road hazards) but riding around on soft grass?