Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #1

Misty's blood results

I mentioned on Elaine's thread about bloods, that my Birman cat, Misty had bloods taken on Tuesday after I took him to the vets as I am concerned about his weight loss He has a good appetite and I haven't noticed diarrhoea. I expected hyperthyroidism or kidney disease, but when the vet phoned me last night she said there is a problem with his liver. Kidneys are fine. She thinks the most likely diagnosis is FIP I don't know loads about FIP, but when I googled it, although weight loss is a factor, Misty has none of the other symptoms. He has to have a fasting blood test next Tuesday, so that should give us more info hopefully. Misty will be 13 in May and she said pedigree cats don't tend to live as long as moggies. I stupidly became very upset on the phone and so don't really remember everything she said except the prognosis isn't good.

This photo was taken a few years ago, but one of my favourites with my bridge dog, Ben.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
05-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Re: Misty's blood results

Kim, sorry to hear this.
I think FIP is from a corona virus, so it might be worth testing for this, although most cats have been exposed to it, even if Misty is positive it doesn't mean it is FIP, however if she has now corona virus, it isn't FIP. FIP is very hard to diagnose.
Has a test for thyroid levels been sent off, ALT levels can be raised for a thyroid problem, and once the levels are stablised they return to normal, so if that is what suggest a problem it is worth checking the thyroid out.
It was suspected Triger had this but the vets rules it out due to something to do with the protein levels, I think. I will ask my vet on monday, if I get a chance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

OMG Kim, I am so sorry to read this, must have been a real shock to hear that but I do agree with Farthing, from what I know about FIP, it isnt very common. Many cats will have been exposed to the corona virus and it's usual when there is a mutation to the corona virus that Fip can occurr.
Did she say if Misty was anaemic? What her white blood cell count was, most particular the lymphocytes? Was her blood protein high? Although these things go with FIP, they also go with many other illnesses too.
Here a a couple of good links for you.
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fip/info.html

http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/c...issuspec ted/

http://www.dr-addie.com/#fipguardian

Lots of hugs and best wishes to you and Misty xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

I hope the next test results are more conclusive. It is difficult to take in all that is being said on the phone particularly if you are a bit upset. I'm sure the vet wouldn't mind you calling back or popping in to discuss it with you again. I don't know enough about FIP to comment but Elaine and farthing have given you good advice based on their sound knowledge.

Can I just add that the pic of her and Ben is lovely, no wonder it's a favourite.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

I can only echo what calismum says above as I have no knowledge of FIP. It is very difficult to take everything in at first go, especially if you are upset. ((((HUGS)))) Kim and healing vibes for Misty. Really lovely photo.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

Not good. Sounds like there is no definate answer to this, could be many different reasons for the weight loss.
How long has she been losing weight for?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Kim - so sorry that Misty's condition is so vague at the moment. Don't despair - maybe additional tests may clarify things.

I would say that speaking to your vet when you're less upset would be a good idea, that way you can discuss various treatment options with a clear and less emotional head.

Love and hugs to you and Misty - hopefully her condition is something that can be controlled and managed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #8

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful and have looked at the links too. I know Misty is very pretty but he is a boy!!! lol Misty has been losing weight for a while now, I took him to the vet is September andteh vet wasn't overly concerned and a general check up was all ok. Misty's heart rate was normal and the vet couldn't feel an enlarged thyroid whe we went on Tuesday, he is frail, but otherwise okay and his appetite is excellent! Everything I read about FIP says appetite is poor, also says FIP usually affects younger cats, a vet nurse on another site says she has never heard of FIP in a cat as old as Misty. I so hope the vet is wrong and hope the fasting blood test is more conclusive. Will let you all know. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #9

Hmmm....I know nothing about FIP ....that will be of any use. However I know when Oz was first poorly I was so upset and scared what with the vet not sure what was wrong with him...I sat down and wrote out what I knew were his symptoms...and what had led me to bring him to the vets....feelings and niggling ideas as well.

Oz had some tests same as Misty I imagine and then I picked him up took him home, and left the vet with a copy of my information then went back to the vets on my own (minus cat) to get the results....

Hope it works out good for you and Misty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #10

I too know almost nothing about FIP, but I do hope the diagnosis is wrong and that it is a misdiagnosis and will be something treatable. A good idea to have a clarifying talk with the vet; hard to take everything in when you're upset. (((hugs))) to you and healing vibes to Misty ......