Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #21

Re: Litter training Princess Freya

CJ - Why don't you put her in a cage? I know it seems unfair - but everyone will benefit in the long run. Put her in there with a litter tray & her food / bed & she should then start to use the tray as I doubt if she will soil her bedding.
She doesn't have to stay in there all the time, but I would be trying it if she were with me. It's got to be better than having several trays dotted about & having her urinating on the carpet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #22

There is a spray you can get that encourages them to go in a certain place, when I got ollie his breeder had been using newspaper, and he didn't like litter, so I sprayed it with (can't remember the name of it) and he started using litter ..I got it from the pet shop, its for kittens and puppies.........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #23

i didnt want to ahve to put her in the cage, but am waiting for my brother to bring it round for me in the next few days. She only seems to ahve wet the carpet twice, maybe marking her scent as iw ashed the carpet.
BUT
she is going to start going in the cage now unfortunatly.

do i jsut put her stuff inthere and leave her overnight or for solong per day????

i never had to do this before, little madam!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #24

Well I could give you an essay on conditioning a dog to a cage, but cats are much easier.

I usually find they don't bother too much, I have got Matilda in a big dog cage with her kittens, although they are having lots of time out of there now they are getting bigger.

I would start off by putting her bed in there & leaving the cage door open, put food in there & obviously a litter tray. If she goes in there... great, if she doesn't just leave the door open & eventually she will explore. She needs to realise it's a nice snug/cosy place to be - they surprisingly feel secure in an enclosed environment & I'm sure she will be no trouble.

If I were you I'd put her in it overnight & whenever I wasn't around to watch her -

And remember, a cage is not a punishment, nor a bad place. But a training aid & a very useful tool for animal behavioural problems/issues

Catsey Veteran

08-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #25

thanks smudgley, that gives me some good tips for strating on.

LAst ngiht i put all threelitter trays side by side near the front door ( one hooded one, one small one with earth in and that large pink new one) nothing on the floor SO FAR.
i must say though i wont ever be using netto cat litter again, it smells bas really quickly, so if it smells bad to me within a few hours god knows what it smells like to the cats.

can't wait for worlds best to arrive.

i cant leave the three litter trays where they are, cos nobody can get in or out the ftonr door lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #26

CJ - you should be able to get this at most pet shops - it's a bog-standard (no pun intended) Johnsons product. Haven't tried/used it but it might be the product others have spoken of.
Hope you get this sorted soon - in fact I think you must get it sorted soon.
Do you think this is why she was rehomed???????
PUPPY & KITTEN TRAINER
A useful aid in the house training of puppies and kittens. Can be sprayed onto newspaper to attract puppies for toilet training, or for kittens, sprayed directly onto litter tray. Not for use on animals. WE REGRET THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED OVERSEAS
<SPAN class=actxsmall>

Catsey Veteran

08-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #27

have to take look at this.
I was thinking about this last night, when rehoming a 2 year old act would youmention " oh she litter trained"???

surely at 2 you wouldnt need to mention UNLESS there was a problem.

anyway, worlds best has arrived and we have made a small change to the litter tray.
Worlds best looks great i must say, used nealry half the bag to fill up the trays but considering a abg can last 36 days for one cat (so it says on abck) it deosnt seem bad AND
princess even went over to sniff it!!! so maybe this is the answer.

Mr D aint fussy at all, he'll wee and poop in anything, so have elft one tray with netto stuff down, jsut to use that last of it up, which wont take long considering how quickly it smells.

Watch this space....................

oh, will post piccie ofr her "new" litter tray area!!!!

Catsey Veteran

08-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #28

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

we have progress!!!!

Princess has done a wee TWICE in a litter tray NOT the one she usually goes in.
There's one by the front door, now covered in a box, and up until now she has ignored the one behind the sofa in living room. but I filled it with worlds best cat litter and she ahs gone into it twice already today.
Also left ONe tray with old litter in, so we have two with worlds best one without. the one without has been ignored by all four cats all day!

so i can say right fomr the start theyre preferring worlds best. Just going to see how long the bag lasts, as if i want to order in future got to order four bags at a time. (i think if i remember right) If it's good (which it seems to be) then I dont mind as it is delivered right to my door for free.

the big test will be seeing if there are any poops on the floor overnight

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #29

Hurrah!!! Hope there's no accidents tonight!!!

Global Moderator

08-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #30

Well done Princess!!! She was just a fussy slow learner CJ!!