Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #11

Re: Harry wants to go out for the first time

I have discoverd catnip drops! if I shake the tin, they all come rushing in, its the only time they get them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
17-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I have discoverd catnip drops! if I shake the tin, they all come rushing in, its the only time they get them...
Thats a good idea Moli - so they associate the shake of the tin with getting a treat so come in - what sort do you have and where from? I have had trouble finding any.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #13

When I want to get Cassie back in I just rattle the cat flap and as she has quite a loud bell on her collar, I can always hear her coming before I see her....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #14

hi Shirley-ann & welcome to Catpages.
I would keep Harry in for 6 weeks, to ensure he builds a good bond with you & gets used to his new environment. I would then let him out one morning - but as the others have said don't feed him before you let him out. I'd leave him for a while then call him in for his breakfast.

Another tip, each time you feed him, starting now, make a noise - it could be calling his name in a certain way or even better rattling a tin, so he associates the noise with his food.Then when you let him out & you are ready for him to come in, make the noise or rattle your tin & he should come in.

Also another good tip, to help him find his way home - put a smear of butter on each of his paws. Some would say it's an old wives tale, but I believe it works, not sure how - the only theory my hubby & I came up with is that as they lick the butter off, it leaves a stronger scent where their footsteps (or should I say pawprints) have been!

Good luck & hope Harry is a good boy when he goes out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Thats a good idea Moli - so they associate the shake of the tin with getting a treat so come in - what sort do you have and where from? I have had trouble finding any.
They are made by Armitage, called good girl catnip drops, you can get them from pet shops Donna...

17-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #16

Hi Emma yes Harry has lost his prize possesions Well Cat make sure all their charges are neutered before finding new loving homes for them. We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac with a fenced rear garden. He is pineing to get out in the fresh air.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
17-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #17

Hi Shirley, well that makes it a bit easier, I think if you follow the advice Mags and Smudgley have given you everything will be fine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #18

It's all been covered in the previous posts hasn't it?

I think the 'noise for food' tip is a good one. Shaking the cat-biscuit box or rattling a fork on the dish - just a special noise which means 'come here - food about!'
Your boy might be OK on a harness. We used them when we moved house, just for a couple of times to let the old girls get used to their new surroundings and the sights and smells.

Good luck.