Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #11

Re: Intimidation

There seems to be a lot of people saying three cats makes for a more settled home? Am I right or am I just reading into what you are all saying wrongly??!!

I have two one year old girls. Would a male cat make the household more "right"?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #12

Hello Donna

I will tell you something, it sounds just like my Oscar and Cleo, they lived together all their lives, yet still up to the day before I had Oscar PTS they carried on as you are describing, Oscar was twice if not a little more than the size of Cleo, and at first I was like you scared and concerned but eventually I came to realise they are being just cats, to the end you could never tell who was in charge.
Although Cleo could change food dishes mid mouthful and Oscar would move out of the way he was kinda laid back but she choose which dish she ate from and he would move, same as the bed at night Oscar couldn't get on if Cleo was already there he had to creep round the other side but she could get on and walk over him But Cleo would move if Oscar rolled over and they would always wash each other at night.
They often had squabbles heated catawalling setting the dogs off and bringing me running fur flying the works tails fluffed up and ears back but it was over as fast as it started but most of the time they were happy in each others company and would come together to fight/keep out intruders when one of the was off colour the other washed them, kept them comfortable. They were friends who had disagreements but I put it down to character.
Make sure they have somewhere to be alone if they want to, and I wouldn't interevene unless you can't stand it any more.
Cleo would push her luck occasionaly, and Oscar would beat her up but never an inury or drop of blood was spilt, it was more noise and furflying than anything. Thank God. And mine could growl more than the dogs. The size issue always made me think it was Oscar to blame but eventually I decided it was 50/50 or more 60/40 being Cleo starting it. But its a cat thing, something you live with with more than 1 cat.
I'm sure you;ll have many happy years with them they'll sort it out.
Take care Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #13

Where more than 1 animal lives; you will have issues. Two people arguments, two dogs arguments, two cats arguments, its the way of the World. I would leave it as it is adding an unknown to the household could make it worse not better. Who knows what character the new cat would have could make it worse. If it ain't broke don;t fix it,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #14

Hi Donna, I would tend to agree with the others and especially what kazz has said above. We got a 3rd cat in November thinking it would be a good idea to have a companion for Eva as she is young and Winston is very old. We are still doing the intro's to this day Thats not to say that it would be as difficult for you and your cats but it shouldnt be rushed into.
Playing can help boost a cats confidence though. Just a thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Playing can help boost a cats confidence though. Just a thought.
Do play with Chloe most evenings - she has a "fluffy tail" on a stick which is her favourite!! But again, when playing with Chloe, Misty always butts in