Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #11

Re: Catnip

I have some growing in the garden and Tizzie will sometimes stop and have a sniff at it as if she is enjoying the smell, but it doesn't make her go silly.
I have heard that it is a sexual thing and affects boys more than girls If that's the case you'd think that neutering would eliminate/dilute it?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
24-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #12

I read this in the How Things Work website:

Quote:
Although no one knows exactly what happens in the cat's brain, it is known that the chemical nepetalactone in catnip is the thing that triggers the response. Apparently, it somehow kicks off a stereotypical pattern in cats that are sensitive to the chemical. The catnip reaction is inherited, and some cats are totally unaffected by it. Large cats like tigers can be sensitive to it as well. The reaction to catnip only lasts a few minutes. Then the cat acclimates to it, and it can take an hour or two away from catnip for the cat to "reset." Then, the same reaction can occur again. Very young kittens and older cats seem less likely to have a reaction to catnip.

I would have thought as well a neutered cat would not react as well - the article also mentioned that tigers like catnip as well - can you imagine a huge tiger out his face on catnip

Both my dogs love catnip as well and are always trying to get my cats catnip toys and keep them - it makes them drool - I must have strange dogs!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #13

I would like to grow catnip. Is it easy to grow in Scottish climes? Where would I get it from?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I would like to grow catnip. Is it easy to grow in Scottish climes? Where would I get it from?
Garden centres usually have it. It's Nepeta. It is not a thrilling floral display but it stays low and fills space. It dies off in winter and comes up again with the good weather - you might have to help it a bit with a layer of winter mulch or similar? Kazz is a good flower gardener - she will know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #15

Thanx for that

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #16

i was going to throw some cat nip seeds in a cat hating neighbours garden