Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
14-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #31

Re: Annoying habbit or is it?

We use to keep tigger locked in the kitchen at night coz if we didnt he would wake us up!
But because since it started to go cold we have just let him sleep anywhere. and he does wake us up in the middle of the night by either meowing or clawing at my bed covers! but thats anly coz he wants to go out. i dont think ive had a full nights sleep for like 3-4 months!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #32

What about putting a throw over your duvet - I have a faux fur throw which my cats love to lay on. Maybe kitty might find that really comforting and snuggle up on it rather than attack it... Just a thought....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #33

Have got qutie a lot of food for thought here, thanx. I am going to try most things and I like the idea of a throw too. A friend of mine has also suggested, due to his age and his kidney function, that he may wake up disorientated and want to pee and so maybe the clawing represents his litter box behaviour but as he is waking me up and I am distracting him by cuddling him, he forgets that maybe he wanted to pee for a short time. Think I will get him booked in for his blood tests sooner rather than later to check his kidney function and talk to them about his dementia. Would hate to think I have missed something medical.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #34

oh look, it's that bloody woman again!!! lol

how's winston doing now elaine?
i hope he's ok.

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #35

Here I am again
Now I am wondering if he was telling me it was time to clip his claws??? I did clip them last night and he did wake me several times by meowing but not by clawing at the covers. He has a litter box in the bedroom and I heard him use it several times so I dont think it is what my friend had suggested. I put the heat pad in his bed as normal and he was fine until around 3 am. The heat pad was still hot, I know coz I had my feet on it . I am going to rearange things a little today and try to find a more appropriate place for his beds. I am also going to go down town and look at throws. Got a bit of a lie in this morning, so am feeling a bit more human now

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #36

Got Winston booked into the vets today for his bloodtests and to talk about his behaviour. Turns out my old boy now has high blood pressure, which may explain why he has been clawing at me through the night. I think he was trying to tell that his head was pounding. My poor baby. Glad i booked him in early for his tests and didnt leave it any longer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #37

At least you may have an answer for his night time behaviour Elaine...has the vet been able to prescribe any medication?

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #38

Yes Fran, he has been given Itsin. 1/8 of a tablet daily and take him back in 2 weeks to check his B/P again. Gave him his tablet when I got him home and am noticing a difference in him already. Its funny but sometimes, just little things he had stopped doing but I hadnt really noticed, or I had but had put it down to him maybe feeling a little sick due to the crf. Did that make any sense??? Probably not but cannt find the words to explain just now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
16-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #39

Glad things are getting a bit better. I hope his tablets do the trick for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #40

Hello Elaine what you say makes perfect sense to me, .

Its hard to distinguish between what is CRF related and what is not, what is old age and what is slightly not right.

Sure he will be improved now, glad you took him.