Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
13-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #21

Re: Annoying habbit or is it?

well your all lucky, Minx does this and i can live with it as i am used to it now from Scarlott (and sometimes its even nice when its on your back and there is a blanket between us ) BUT Minx also licks the blanket and she makes such a nose that is does keep me up (and comeing from the 1 that can sleep though anything thats bad)
so now when ever she coes to bed with me she can sleep where she likes as long as there is no licking. as soon as she starts she is either put on the floor or if she is on my back then i just keep moving until she gives up. she is getting good as of the last few nights in only taken about 30 mins to stop her doing it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
13-01-2006, 01:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Hi Elaine

I don't suppose he is "kneading" I will copy from a book, here

"The kneading movement is associated deep in an adult cats mind with a pleasurable and satisfying experience, and in adult life when happy it will repeat these kneading movements with its paws to express happiness. There is nothing much you can do about a kneading cat, kneading is too deeply ingrained as an instinct for remonstration to be effective."

I just wondered if this was a misplaced "kneading response" he is happy warm secure and above all close by to you therefore extremly happy. I ask because Oz used to do something very similar and evetually after 7- 8 years I started to learn my lesson and made sure there was quilt between my bear flesh and his claws other than that I learnt to sleep through eventually. See he cured me eventually and now I miss it Cleo never does it, but she does get close.

Just a suggestion, an idea. Hope you get some sleep soon.
Angel and Tilly both do it to me when they come on my knee but not anyone elses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #23

Hi Elaine
I finally banished one of my two old ladies to preserve all our sanities. Here's a link to a previous thread http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...ghlight=Heated
So you see, my Tizzie (17+) now sleeps in her own bed in the kitchen.
I was soooo reluctant, in case it was a really mean thing to do, but I must say that after only about 6 weeks it has 'transformed our lives' . The heated pad keeps her cosy (and asleep) all night and means the humans get their 8 hours too! She is able to eat more and now actually starts to make moves towards her bed as the evening progresses.
Maybe you will have to harden your heart too - I was apprehensive but would recommend it thoroughly. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #24

Hi again all. Winston was not quite as bad last night but did wake me once or twice. It does appear to be more of a clawing kind of action rather than a kneeding or treading one. It may look like that though as he is not as steady on his legs as he used to be. Its a bit like he were playing with a toy mouse only he is clawing at the bed covers and pulling at them. He does also have a heat pad, which usually ends up keeping my feet nice and toasty. I also put the electric blanket on for a bit before I go to bed, pampered old puss or what . Dont know if I have the heart to make him sleep in another room, I am afraid he would feel like he was being punnished and at his time of life I wouldnt want him to feel pushed out. Especially as we are already having problems with Eva and Bernie. The bedroom is where Winston spends most of his time and is therefore his domain, would it not be cruel of me to take this away from him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
The bedroom is where Winston spends most of his time and is therefore his domain, would it not be cruel of me to take this away from him?
Mmm, yes, maybe.
Oh dear - sorry I wasn't much help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #26

post deleted...just read that Winston does already have a heat pad. Was going to suggest him having one in the bedroom

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Dont know if I have the heart to make him sleep in another room, I am afraid he would feel like he was being punnished and at his time of life I wouldnt want him to feel pushed out. Especially as we are already having problems with Eva and Bernie. The bedroom is where Winston spends most of his time and is therefore his domain, would it not be cruel of me to take this away from him?
Could you not get a nice cat bed for him and put it in your bedroom with the heat pad in his bed and "encourage" him to lay there rather than on your bed???

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #28

There are 4 cat beds in the bedroom, 2 are on the bed, one is under the bed, which is where Eva likes to sleep, and another ontop of the blanket box by the window. The 2 on the bed are his favourites but they are too big to fit under the bed and I think by the window is too cold for him this time of the year. I may try experimanting with his beds though, by placing them around the room with the heat pad but I have a feeling he just wants to be with me.
I mentioned this on another site and somebody said they have seen this behaviour before and it signals the start of the end, felt that was a bit of a rash thing to say.
I am knackered and it can be very annoying but I do love Winston to bits. Should it be the case that he feels more secure with me then I am just gonna have to bite the bullet and take what comes. Maybe I should start going to bed when I get home from work and start my day at 3am LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #29

If its more clawing than kneading I don't suppose he does it to certain "bed cover does he? maybe its the material he's objecting too? Just a thought and have you tried moving his favourite beds somewhere other than on the bed? then maybe he will get the hint and move there himself just a sugggestion.

And if he wants to be with you try my old trick when I get them a new bed put a teeshirt you have worn in bed or during the day the scent of you should be enough to "comfort him" and if you think about it sleeping in the bedroom is the one place your scent is in everything.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

14-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #30

Gonna try absolutely everything that has been suggested coz i cannt function anymore on the lack of sleep. Am so tired today I could just cry . I am one of those people who really cannt go without a full quota of sleep.
Thanx for all your suggestions, I'll let you know how it all goes but first I have to get my head down for a few hours. Thanx again guys.