Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #1

Annoying habbit or is it?

Hi,
My old crf kitty, Winston, has recently started this annoying habbit of clawing at the bed clothes in the middle of the night. Its a bit like some one constantly prodding at you and disturbs my sleep alot. He does sometimes cry out in the night, his thyroid has been tested and came back negative for over active. I have put his crying down to a touch of senility, possibly a little deafness too and waking up suddenly a little confused. Now normally when he cries, he settles down very quickly in my arms and we cuddle till morning but this clawing at the bed covers is very annoying and I try to settle him down as normal but he just gets up and starts all over again. I am knackered, and would really like at least a few restfull nights.
Just wondered if any one elses cat does this or if any one has any ideas as to why he does it and any possible solution.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #2

Re: Annoying habbit or is it?

Elaine, I am sorry to hear you having a few problems with Winston I bet you are shattered I do not know the significance of the scratching at the bed covers but do know that crying out in the night can signify thyroid trouble. How long since he had the tests done? Perhaps another trip to the vet is inorder and if the last blood test wasn't too recent a repeat thyroid test? Do let us know how he gets on...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #3

Cassie often claws at the bed covers in the middle of the night Elaine.....I just say a firm 'Lie down' to her and she stops straight away. I'm sure she understands that command! When she does it, it is like paddling with her paws....

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #4

His last thyroid test was at the begining of November, which was fine. He is due blood tests again at the end of this month for his kidney values etc. He doesnt cry as much as he used to. I recently changed vets because they always talked so negatively about his condition, and I personally dont think he was getting the best treatment, but thats another issue. Old vet always said he had an overactive thyroid and couldnt understand why he always managed to maintain his weight, they did do the blood test initially at the same time as he was diagnosed with CRF, almost 2 years ago. New vet tested and it was negative for an over active thyroid and they couldnt find anything in his notes from the old vet to indicate that they had tested for it in the first instance. He was never given any treatment for it as the old vet said it was doing him a favour by giving him an appetite.
I feel exhausted coz i am not getting a good nights sleep but I really dont want to be grumpy with my old boy because, whatever the reason and I am sure there must be one, he doesnt deserve it.
My O/H reckons i have a built in cuddle device for him when I am sleeping LOL, he says he has come to bed several times when I have been sleeping and as soon as Winston jumps up beside me, my arms imediately wrap around him and he settles there being cuddled.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #5

Hi Elaine

I don't suppose he is "kneading" I will copy from a book, here

"The kneading movement is associated deep in an adult cats mind with a pleasurable and satisfying experience, and in adult life when happy it will repeat these kneading movements with its paws to express happiness. There is nothing much you can do about a kneading cat, kneading is too deeply ingrained as an instinct for remonstration to be effective."

I just wondered if this was a misplaced "kneading response" he is happy warm secure and above all close by to you therefore extremly happy. I ask because Oz used to do something very similar and evetually after 7- 8 years I started to learn my lesson and made sure there was quilt between my bear flesh and his claws other than that I learnt to sleep through eventually. See he cured me eventually and now I miss it Cleo never does it, but she does get close.

Just a suggestion, an idea. Hope you get some sleep soon.

Global Moderator

12-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Hi Elaine

I don't suppose he is "kneading" I will copy from a book, here

"The kneading movement is associated deep in an adult cats mind with a pleasurable and satisfying experience, and in adult life when happy it will repeat these kneading movements with its paws to express happiness. There is nothing much you can do about a kneading cat, kneading is too deeply ingrained as an instinct for remonstration to be effective."

I just wondered if this was a misplaced "kneading response" he is happy warm secure and above all close by to you therefore extremly happy. I ask because Oz used to do something very similar and evetually after 7- 8 years I started to learn my lesson and made sure there was quilt between my bear flesh and his claws other than that I learnt to sleep through eventually. See he cured me eventually and now I miss it Cleo never does it, but she does get close.

Just a suggestion, an idea. Hope you get some sleep soon.
That's the same as Cassie Kazz.....but I call it paddling!

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #7

Thats interesting, I wonder if it is indeed what he is doing. He has never done it before now, or atleast not on me directly but he does do this in his many beds before settling down.
Poor old sod, I am always looking for something to be wrong with him, maybe i have munchausen by proxy as my O/H always likes to tell me LOL.
That makes me feel a bit better, and hopefully more able to cope with the harrasment during the night . I would ofcourse dealy love for him to be happy and secure with me by his side.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #8

Oooh, for got to say thanx to you all for your suggestions etc.

Global Moderator

12-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #9

You're very welcome Elaine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
12-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #10

Was gonna say mine do the kneading thingy, but only on my faux fur things!!! Think they think it is their mummy!!!! Read in the book that they do the kneading on their mother when they are feeding to stimulate the milk flow and they never forget it and when they do it in later life it is a happy thing for them.