Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
31-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #1

scratch post problem

Clementine had a tiny sized kitten scrath post she had, had it for ages and it has grown somewhat past its days. So we threw it out and brought a nice BIG new one, four levels with a tunny, and some pom pom things and platforms etc etc, but she wont use it she will sit on it fine but won't scratch it up at all.
What can i do to get her to use it?
Will the new kitten maybe intice her to use it when she is?
HELP i feel i wasted all that money, and she is so bored but she looks at all the play centre parts and then simply walks away

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
31-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #2

Re: scratch post problem

Does she like catnip?? if she does you could try putting some of that on the scratchpost, it works for my cat Arthur

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
01-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #3

this is a tip Mittens breeder told me, its mente to work for most Ragdolls and as she is half a raggy it should work. just show her how to use it! when she is happily sitting on it go up to is and scratch it your self if she is any thing like Mittens used to be then she will join you. if you catch her scratching anywhere else then say NO and pick her up carry her to the post and she her again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
14-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #4

The catnip should do the trick they go absolutely mad for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
this is a tip Mittens breeder told me, its mente to work for most Ragdolls and as she is half a raggy it should work. just show her how to use it! when she is happily sitting on it go up to is and scratch it your self if she is any thing like Mittens used to be then she will join you. if you catch her scratching anywhere else then say NO and pick her up carry her to the post and she her again

I have heard that too, but did feel silly sitting on the floor playing with a scratching post pretending to be a cat..... miaow!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #6

I was going to suggest the catnip too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
15-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #7

I have just had delivered an excellent scratch post, its about 5ft high and they LOVE it! From Gemany, took just 4 days to arrive and was only £24.99 with NO postage costs!!!! Take a peek.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #8

That's lovely Dawn and it certainly seems to have gone down well with wiggy!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
15-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #9

well thankyou, whoever it was for posting on this and bringing it to the top of the page. i was looking for it to update and for some reason couldnt find it......mind you i couldn't find my way out of a paper bag! The cat scratching post, is well part of the furniture, Clementine uses it to sharpen her claws on and sleep on, and sit at the top and do the 'I'm queen of all i survey' look. Elsa likes to sit on it and tease the dogs, i don't think she has worked out its for scratching yet....but she's still young.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #10

That's a lovely scratch post Dawn, plenty of jumping and climbing places......and very reasonable for one that size!