Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

first time trying raw food

well ive just tried the cats on a bit of raw mince... i left them till 12 to have their meat. (they usually get a pouch at half 7) in the hope that if they were hungrier theyd give it a go

myrtle, sniffed then walked away clearly she was not impressed with whats on offer...

ezzy on the other hand munched it down

they only had 20g between them (which ezzy ate all as myrtle wasnt interested!!

i know they eat fish, as they always try to steal the dogs so im just trying them on their new meats for now... may try some chicken breast tomorrow..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #2

Re: first time trying raw food

Good luck with trying this new diet for your two. I've never fed raw as routine, although I used to give raw beef mince (prev. frozen) to my dear old Merlin as a treat. He loved it especially when hand fed - but he was an old fellow and deserved special treatment!

Hope Myrtle decides to eat ..... how long will you try with her before giving her something else?

Catsey Junior

20-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Good luck with trying this new diet for your two. I've never fed raw as routine, although I used to give raw beef mince (prev. frozen) to my dear old Merlin as a treat. He loved it especially when hand fed - but he was an old fellow and deserved special treatment!

Hope Myrtle decides to eat ..... how long will you try with her before giving her something else?
aww oh she wont go without food at all. their dry biscuits get left down all day which she can eat when she chooses. so there is food there for her. im just testing them on raw meats at the minute to see what they like and dont like.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
21-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Which Is Better To Give A Kitten, Raw Or Cooked Meat ( Ie Mince) ? Is It Just Human Thinking About Raw Meat Is Not Good For You? I Realise In The Wild They Kill And Obviously Don't Cook!!!!!!!!! Is It Better To Wait Until They Are Older To Give Them Raw Meat? My Two Are Just Over 3 Months Old!

Catsey Junior

21-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPARK
Which Is Better To Give A Kitten, Raw Or Cooked Meat ( Ie Mince) ? Is It Just Human Thinking About Raw Meat Is Not Good For You? I Realise In The Wild They Kill And Obviously Don't Cook!!!!!!!!! Is It Better To Wait Until They Are Older To Give Them Raw Meat? My Two Are Just Over 3 Months Old!
I'd give them a bit now. I don't see the problem. Just give them a tiny bit as a treat and see how they go. I've read that it's better to start them on it when try are younger and you can make it more difficult for ourself the older the cat. There's noting stopping you friend it cooked if you want to.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
21-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

JMPARK humans are the only species who cook their meat before eating it, not due to health and safety which is strict on meat for consumption but merely for the taste. I don't feel that a moment on the lips warrants taking a life..so that's why I'm vegetarian, but my cats MUST eat meat, and the best for them is raw. As for giving it to kittens try them on a little chicken breast! It won't hurt them, although they might turn their nose up at 1st, but I can't stress enough it must be fresh. My white meat never stands in the fridge for longer than 12 hours from fresh or freshly defrosted.

The pet food industry is sold on taste and convenience for the masses, but it's in out cat's best interest to seperate the bad from the good, be it dried food or wet food. I give my cats commercial food because they like it (for Chesi it's a special 'renal support' for his crystals) and because it's convenient, also because I'm sold on the words on the packet, let's face it! But I think with variety which includes fresh raw food, you can't go wrong.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
21-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Thanks For The Advice!
Unfortunately Ime The Opposite And Really Love My Meat!! I have To Eat My Veg Like A Good Boy, But, Except For Peas And Carrots , Hate The Taste Of It And Smother It All In Gravey!!
Will Try My Two Little Terrors On Same "raw" In The Near Future, As We Have Only Just Got Their Stomachs Back To Normal!!
Thanks Again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

To be on safe side & kill any potential bad bacteria, freeze any raw meats first (defrost before feedding) before feeding to kittens or cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
21-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #9

Not sure that works... bacteria don't get killed by the cold, unfortunately. Just extreme heat...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Crossbreed
22-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Bacteria doesn't get killed by freezing they just lay dormant on the meat until brought up to a temp above freezing. They then 'wake up' as long as the meat is kept below 8c the bacteria shouldn't multiply too fast. Don't however, leave the meat to get to room temp as this is where bacteria multiplies quickest.