Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
24-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Applaws wet food.

Missy has until lately, only eaten dry food, I have read articles saying cats should also have wet protein food. I have bought Applaws, I think it is expensive but it's supposed to be high in protein. Missy isn't keen on wet food & eats only about one third of a 70gm tin per day along with her dry food. I keep the rest of the tin in the fridge. I also add Plaqueoff to the Applaws. She is 4kgs which is a little overweight for her size. Missy will not eat fresh food, cooked or raw.

I'd love to here other ideas & advice on this please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

Re: Applaws wet food.

I feed about 95% wet, as Leia had a bout of cystitis, and too much dry can potentially increase the chances of a recurrence. She is on Fancy Feast here in the States, she gets a tiny sprinkling of dry on top of the wet. Leia also doesn't care for raw; has finally come to eat some cooked people food such as ham, chicken or shrimp, only as treats. We don't have Applaws here, so can't comment; sure people who are familiar with it will be along with info.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
24-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

It's also not a complete food but a supplement according to the packaging. Toffee will eat anything so I'm dabbling in different foods. James Well Beloved Fish (dry) was met with distinct approval, the Ziwi was fine (dry and wet but expensive) and he's used to Whiskas (wet and not theorhetically the best out there) Kitten from the breeder. Orijen (which is also high quality as far as I understand it) was the least popular. I would feed raw if I didn't have a Better Half and dog to take into consideration.
"Best ingredients" doesn't actually mean that your cat will love it. They have their own views on what is good food.

Cat's do not have to eat wet food but you do have to be confident that they will drink enough water with their dry to reduce the risk of cystitis etc.
If your cat is thriving on what you are currently feeding then you're feeding the right food for her. I'd invest the extra money in a few good toys to help take a nudge of weight off rather than feeling bad that she's not keen on the additional and expensive wet food.

I'm no nutritionist, only a well-trained cat slave of many masters.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Felux is vety popular with ours altho
It has not got a very high meat content. The likes of Natures menu & HiLife are better for meat content

Catsey Junior

25-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

Thank you everyone, I will try her with your other suggestions, I did try her with Gourmet a while ago but she licked the gel & turned her nose up at the rest. I vary her dry food, at the moment it's Hill's Science Plan, vet recommend - but then they sell it.

Missy has toys & can also go out but she's just a lazy cat. My daughters cat is hardly ever in, Missy is hardly ever out...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Merlin used to love the occasional tray of Applaws - special occasions only. As Hreow says, it is not a complete food. The Applaws company was rather generous though when I asked for some samples!

I rather wish my Pip would have liked Nature's Menu, but he didn't. I actually have some pouches left and would be very happy to send samples to anyone who would like to try them.

Catsey Veteran

25-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttygran
Thank you everyone, I will try her with your other suggestions, I did try her with Gourmet a while ago but she licked the gel & turned her nose up at the rest. I vary her dry food, at the moment it's Hill's Science Plan, vet recommend - but then they sell it.

Missy has toys & can also go out but she's just a lazy cat. My daughters cat is hardly ever in, Missy is hardly ever out...
Tim quite regularly licks the jelly from his Felix altho perhaps not the best food in terms of meat comyent you could try the Felix "Sensation" range in jelly which is what our two get & like to the exclusion of all others

Tim gets Hills sensitive dry food & does fab on it.

Amber is still on Pro Plan kitten sensitive. Techmically speaking she doesnt need a sensitive food but as they eat each others food, its easier to buy the sensitive

Ironically Pro Plan dry cat food works out more ecpensive to feed than Hills - i found that very surprising

Catsey Veteran

25-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttygran

Tim quite regularly licks the jelly from his Felix altho perhaps not the best food in terms of meat content you could try the Felix "Sensation" range in jelly which is what our two get & like to the exclusion of all others

Tim gets Hills sensitive dry food & does fab on it.

Amber is still on Pro Plan kitten sensitive. Techmically speaking she doesnt need a sensitive food but as they eat each others food, its easier to buy the sensitive

Ironically Pro Plan dry cat food works out more expensive to feed than Hills - i found that very surprising

Catsey Junior

25-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Angieh & Velvet, thank you both, I tend to put the meaty food in one dish & the dry food in another so that Missy has her choice so I expect she is getting all the nutrients she needs, plus what the fussy madam will eat. The vet is very pleased with her but suggested the Plaqueoff, which I now buy on line - at a saving of about £5!!!

I often think I raised three kids with less fuss..

Catsey Junior

25-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #10

Just a thought, wasn't it Churchill who said, Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, only pigs treat us as equals."