Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
26-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

pernickity animals...

OK, I've heard before now that sometimes it can be a bit of a pain getting cats to eat. I've not had huge amount of issue in this area up til now, and even now Cloud is good at eating something when she's hungry.

The thing which confuses me is that normally she loves the meat that I give her. She's always got dry food available, as I can't always be home to give her wet at the same time of day. Last night I gave her a pouch of tuna fish (felix good as it looks) and if she tasted it that's all she did. Later on I saw her having some of the dry food, but the tuna, and the cat milk I put out for her a little later on, were pointedly ignored.

Not too surprised about the cat milk - she has tended to enjoy the first little bit of a bottle, and then ignore repeat offerings. Which means I very rarely buy her that!

I am a little confused by this apparent dislike of the tuna though. She seemed to like it before now, and she's had no trouble eating it in the past. So why completely ignoring it now? It definitely does seem to be that - gave her half a salmon pouch earlier and she's going through that like wildfire...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
26-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Re: pernickity animals...

Harris doesnt like tuna much either. He generally turns his nose up at it. We also now have to buy just fish flavoured meat as he wont eat any form of meat flavoured unless its chicken and all the pouches of food have to be in sauce and not jelly!! Hes a fussy wee toad. Thankfully Skye likes the fish as well though and seemes to like the tuna in the boxes so it works out well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
26-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Mmmm. It was the sudden-ness of her just completely leaving the 'meat' I'd given her which surprised me. Given she'd eaten it alright up til that point in time.

Since I've recently bought some more bulk offer of the food have been giving her, she'd better not go off of it all. But she did seem to like the salmon.

Oh well, maybe if I mix the tuna with another kind of stuff she might eat it better. Tis what I had to do to finish off the normal felix I ended up managing to buy her by mistake (was online, hadn't realised that it wasn't 'good as it looks' box...)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Our wont eat anything other than Felix "Sensations" - other kinds pointedly ignored. I end up giving it to either the outside cats or Harvey with his foot. Dogs absolutely adore cat food

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

I don't think this is particularly strange! The only cat I've ever known just to eat his food without any trouble was Harley, the stray. Pip will lick off the gravy which he adores but he won't touch the meat at all, neither will Kizzy. It's not as if I haven't tried. The amount of food sachets that have ended up in the P@H rescue bin - at least hopefully not wasted.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
12-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

I was going to ask about the same thing. Oliver is exactly like that. He will eat one kind of meat one day and totally ignore it hte next. He is still eating kitten food because he doesnt like/ wont eat big cat food. I dont know what to give him and Im sure he is underweight. He eats the odd felix GAIL pouch, but nothing else, only crunchies. I have tried whiskas, sheba and othe felix but he just wont entertain them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Tom and Jerry have eaten tinned Felix for years, Jerry literaly wouldn't touch anything else. Then all of a sudden they both went off it. They have pouches now, although i am giving Tom some royal canin renal food as well.
Recently i bought them some senior hilife, first night they loved it and asked for more, the next night they wouldn't eat it. However another time they ate it again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #8

Pernickity is right! Leia went off tuna completely as an older kitten/young adult; absolutely refused it; a few years back she decided she now loved tuna and it was her second favorite food! She was very fond of wet minced beef in gravy, now spurns it, also the chicken in gravy..... (all Fancy Feast wet).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
19-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

hm our Gaia eats nothing but orijen and felidae dry food - not any kind of meat, cheese, milk or whatever...

(when she came to us she would eat everything - soups, cheese, onion (she stole it from the hamburger left on the table), meat, mushrooms...) Little spoiled rat

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
19-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

Tiger will do back flips to get wet food and Lester has gone right off it, he will lick the gravy or jelly off the wet food and leave the rest. He did like it at first but they have both looked very sad in the past when it was lamb.