Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #11

Re: Tortie personality?

The majority of torties I have met have defo had 'tortietude' - except the last foster, she was a bit on the slow side, and the only one out of 4 (two fosters and 2 neighbourhoods - 2 brindle and 2 dilutes) that wouldn't attack you just for stroking them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
20-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #12

I ve had a couple of torties through the years. One was tempermental, to the extent that my vet had to give a mild sedative to vaccinate her, however Willow my Tabby is just as moody. And she was hand reared.

I know a few people with torties who dont really have any propblems with their behaviour. they just have their own individual characters

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
21-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #13

my experiance of torties has been really different. I have one at the moment and one that passed away a few years ago but both are incredibly loving cats - and love to get loads of cuddles

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
21-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #14

In defence of my Rosie (the old bag) she is very laid back. I used to take her and Holly (lurcher) to a friends house when I stayed at the weekend. Rosie would quite happily sit on the back seat of the car with Holly and I never had to use a basket, the only time she meowed was if Holly wasn't with her. She is totally independent never likes being picked up and only ever comes to me if she wants something. Having said all that I can't imagine the house without her.

Cats owned: Tortoiseshell
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #15

Hi I have an 18mth tortie I have had her since she was weaned. she is the most loving cat to me I cant move without her being there, but to others she can be a little stand offish but she will accept them giving her 1 or 2 strokes before she regally walks off. As I have been her (Mum) since she was 5 weeks old I suppose she might feel more for me or just know how to get what she wants.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 moggy, 2 long haired
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #16

Well, for my pains, I've got two of 'em and Luke's description could have been written to describe them both.
To say they are fiery and temperamental is a massive understatement.
As for cuddly ............ if you value your arms and hands ..... don't even think about it.

Cats owned: Tortoiseshell
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #17

Potted history of the Tortie named Kendra. D.O.B 18/01/2009 visited and handled from 2 weeks by my son, brought home at 5 weeks after weaning. Slept, ate and toileted in his room until he left in April. Now sleeps and eats in kitchen garden for rest. she has been handled by me and family throughout her life and loves attention so when she got to excited told firmly no and then ignored for a short while also played with using balls of paper etc a lot. That said I am the only 1 who can now kiss and stroke her for more than 20secs but I cant pick her up have to bend down, but absent son can still do pretty much what he likes to a point including pick her up for cuddles. So I guess lots of patience consistancy with whats acceptable and a few blinks in her direction and love no matter what seem to work. Although visitors beware these she treats like prey until she knows them. I dont seem to get many now days lol.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
01-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #18

My Tigger (tortie and white) is fine, except if you hold her too long she gets annoyed and starts wriggling.

The most troublesome and aggressive cats we have had in our Cats Protection shelter have either been tortie or tortie and white. The last one I hated was a dark tortie and each time I cleaned her out she used to scratch and swipe tons. She has now gone to a friend of my dad's, and apparently she swipes at him!

So from my experience usually the aggressive cats we get are torties of some shape!