Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #11

Re: pics of our new boy, jeff

What lovely piccies!

I LOVE the last one! hehe

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #12

Oh he is sooooooo sweet! I love his name too lol! Healing vibes for ginger!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #13

Jeff is just adorable, that picture of him asleep on the video is just precious!

Poor Ginger. He does sound like he's in a bad way. Do you think (pennies permitting) he should have the amputation sooner rather than waiting for the awful-sounding shattering of the hip? Maybe then he could carry on his life for a bit longer, albeit with 3 legs but at lease he will be out of pain?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Jeff is just adorable, that picture of him asleep on the video is just precious!

Poor Ginger. He does sound like he's in a bad way. Do you think (pennies permitting) he should have the amputation sooner rather than waiting for the awful-sounding shattering of the hip? Maybe then he could carry on his life for a bit longer, albeit with 3 legs but at lease he will be out of pain?
Yeh I was thinking that too. Cats can adapt very well to 3 legs and it doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
26-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #15

Oh he is so cute and I love the name. Sounds like he will soon be ruling your household.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 snow spot bengal, 1 white dsh
26-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #16

we discussed the op with the vet, if they had said do it now of course i would have and i really hope its not going to be that the hip shatters first, but the vet advised waiting as in his words, "he is the size of 2 cats" they are a bit worried about him being under the anasthetic for the op and wonder if because of his size if he will cope after, he is a big lad, not from overfeeding can i add! he has always been big. they think because of his age and size there is a bigger than usual risk. he has also been under 3 times in the last 6 months too, once for some teeth out and twice for xrays. to be honest i was more concerned that he would get depressed from being shut in the house as he never stayed in much before, he much preferrred being out visiting some of the neighbours on the street, but he seems happy enough, we put him in a pen in the garden sometimes, (he doesnt get much excercise but does get fresh air) also one of the neighbours is very fond of him and we heard he was a bit upset as he thought he had died as he hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks so now we let him go stay there for the evening or sometimes the weekend and he is able to go outside as their garden is more secure, what i am trying to say is he is happy enough, the metacam is easing the pain, he's not too grumpy if you touch his leg, and as soon as we think we have to make the decision we will, my sisters cat had the same op and died within hours of coming round so while he is hobbling around ok we are waiting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #17

I can understand that and hope he continues on for a good while without having to have anything done

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
27-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #18

Jeff is a wee smasher. Love the photo's!!!

Tilli I had a dog with what sounds like the same kind of problem. The vet wanted to remove her jaw bone. She had been through so much I decided not to have it done (after a lot of discussions) I was told to watch for her jaw shattering. Not a nice situation to be in. Thinking about ginger too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #19

Tilli - I fully understand where you're coming from. And it is so good to hear that you are taking all factors into consideration with Ginger. I too had a cat that didn't survive an op (just a routine dental), so I can empathise with that concern of yours.

Hugs to you and Ginger - I'm sure you will do 100% what's right for him when you get to the point where decisions need to be made.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 snow spot bengal, 1 white dsh
27-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #20

yes it is a worry because at the end of the day you want to be able to look back and know you did the right thing, as i said ginger seems so content at the moment so i don't want to put him through more than i have to, also it might seem daft but with the new kittens arrival i didn't like the thought of ginger laying there in pain from an op being unable to move and having to watch the kitten running around being a kitten and thinking to himself that the pain and new arrival went hand in hand, i wanted things to be as normal as they could be for him. we are just glad that hes coping and that we haven't had to move him out of the way into another room so that he felt even more left out.
also we were very fond of his previous owner and i promised him befor he died that i would look after ginger for him, we will of course do whats best for him but we also want him around for as long as possible as he is our last link with our neighbour,