Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #1

Names

Two parts to this thread

1. Reading Yola's post welcoming Saz and talking about her (Yola's) name reminds me of a very nice person I used to work with, whose name was Yolanda. She was called either her name in full or just Yo (Like Yo-Sushi! ). Her father was Italian, so that's how she got her lovely name. Well I think it's lovely, as is Yolanta!
(If you do a spell check of a document where you have been lazy and written about something of Yolanda's but neglected the apostrophe it kindly highlights the possible error and helpfully suggests 'colanders'. Used to make me giggle every time! I'd omit the apostrophe on purpose just to call my friend Colander again)

2. If you weren't called what you are called - what name would you like/what name did you want to be called when you were little etc etc?
Having a christmas birthday I've always thought I should have been called Carol but........................
What about you? - or perhaps you are delighted with the name you have?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Re: Names

Hate my name always have....Prefer my user name on here!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #3

It's funny how a lot of us hate our given names....I gave my daughter the name I wished I was called....Susan (Sue)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
03-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #4

when i was a kid i didint like my name,but now im older i like it,full name catherine gets shortened to cathy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
03-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #5

I hated my name when i was in school. It get's shortened to Nae so I got all the usual horse jokes Used to really pee me off in school

Global Moderator

03-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi
I hated my name when i was in school. It get's shortened to Nae so I got all the usual horse jokes Used to really pee me off in school
Oops...I'd better call you Naomi from now on then I didn't even think about horsey jokes, honest

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #7

I absolutely hated my name at school. Primary school was a nun-run affair with absolutely loads of Irish boys and girls so Eamon, Deirdre, Sean and many other English names were the norm. The other unusual name was an Indian girl called Eryll (sp) but she was an ace student, neat, tidy and well behaved so kids didn't dare take the rip out of her.

My surname was worse than my forename; (Proczkowska). Even the TEACHER'S would laugh on the 1st registration of a new year . . . having Polish parents I never forgave them for giving me TWO weird names!!!!

I always wanted to be called something exotic but recognizable, like Carlotta or Georgina. Now, although I do like my name it does tend to get mispronounced as Yowla rather than the shorter Yolla.

My surname now always comes up as Melange in the spell check. Bless. When will Microsoft learn? ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Oops...I'd better call you Naomi from now on then I didn't even think about horsey jokes, honest
Me neither Mags!

reminds me of the joke about the lad who asked his Dad if it was true he was a horse? He answered "neigh lad".
Sorry Naomi (it's a realy pretty name)

Global Moderator

03-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #9

Good one DM.....

Global Moderator

03-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I
Now, although I do like my name it does tend to get mispronounced as Yowla rather than the shorter Yolla.
?
So how do you pronounce your name Yola.....is it a hard 'o' as in 'yoyo' or a soft 'o' as in yoghurt?
BTW I'm glad I don't have to write your surname everyday