Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: non pedigree
nomadicbry is Male
28-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #1

Kitten seems unwell

Hi our 12 week old (I think) kitten has gone from full of energy to sleeping a lot and not really eating much. It's also not done a number 2 in a few days. Could it be constipated? However in saying that I've not seen her trying to poo or dragging her bottom so may not be that not sure what to do. Any ideas?

We've been feeding her raw chicken, fish and liver with kitten milk which up until a few days ago it happily scoffed down. It now seems to sleep loads and isn't it's lively bubbly self.

Any suggestions help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add it got its first vaccination last Saturday.

Cheers,
B

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #2

Re: Kitten seems unwell

I think I'd be a bit concerned myself (having a 10 week old here). First off, I'd change her diet - there are lots of good kitten foods out there and the raw diet may not be providing her with all the nutrients she needs for her rapid development. You may of course be wanting to feed raw - I don't know. Then I'd be concerned whether she has any raised temperature. It could just be a reaction to the jab, I'd take her to the vet if I were you. I do tend to worry though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
28-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Think I would follow Angies advice, and take her to the vets to be checked....Have you wormed her since you got her??

nomadicbry is Male
28-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

not that I'm aware of, my wife might know though. Could it be worms?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
28-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicbry
not that I'm aware of, my wife might know though. Could it be worms?
Is her litlte tum swollen??? I would worm her, will not do her any harm...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

Poor little poppet. I think at least a phone call to the vet is in order. Chances are they'll advise you to take her in anyway

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #7

Excellent advice above; cannot improve on it. Poor wee thing....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
29-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

If you have not already wormed her, I would do so with a good quality product (something from the vets as opposed to something stocked in a supermarket). Not all products are suitable for kittens, and most of them that are will require her to be at least 1 kg. So I would weigh her before going down to the vet.

Like angieh said, I would feed her a suitable kitten food. Again I would go for a good quality food, as some of the cheaper brands may not provide the good quality nutrients. Having a good start in life will help tremendously in later life. I would pick the highest quality food you can provide within your budget. I would look for the words "complete" on the bag if you are feeding dry.

If it has not improved for a couple of days, then I would definitely take it to the vet. Kittens (and even cats) can be off for a few days after either their first jab or booster. But if her symptoms definitely get worse I would phone your vet asap.

nomadicbry is Male
30-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

hi thanks for the advise
we took the kitten to the vet and she reckoned that she may have picked up a parascite from the raw food we were feeding her. She also gave us worming tablets
remarkably she seems to be back to her manic best attacking my toes whenever they hang over the edge of the couch and chasing the cursor on the pc screen so all good apart from my scratched toes

thanks again
B

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #10

Glad to hear she's herself again. What did the vet say about the raw feeding?