Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

My first little girl.

Having received a lett today with the added extra of beautiful 5years old drawings round the edge, which has made my day. I just wondered does anyone else here sponsor a child from a "different country?"

My sponsor child is through SOS villages. She is a little girl who is 5 years old, and lives in Lilongwe - Malawi. This little girl has just become my new "sponsor child"

I have previously sponsored a boy who has now left school and the village but is still in contact with the village. I have been sponsoring him for 10 years and will continue to write/send birthday/christmas cards for as long as he keeps in touch which I think will be forever. He is now 19 lives in Algeria and is training to be a shoe repairer.

My very first SOS child was a boy also who lived in Botswana I sponsored him for 5 years and we exchanged letters often, sadly he passed away with an illness.

So through SOS villages back in March I was allocated a new sponsor child..... and wrote my first letter in April. (Can't think of another way to say it really allocated is not my choice of word but sums up the way it is) I just ticked the box that says I will sponsor a child where the need is greatest and which child need sponsoring I could no more choose than fly to the moon...I would bereft if I choose for example....a girl in Country A and they had boys in Country A so I tick the "you choose box" (cowards way out maybe) hence I now am sponsoring a child in Malawi this time. A little girl.
So I am back to writing to little children, and sending stickers....... ...princesses and fairies. She like teddy bears, too. And goes to nursery/kindergarden

So does anyone else do this??????? Sponsors unite.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Re: My first little girl.

No Kazz - but it's a huge great good thing to do and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I have never thought of doing it "for real" - I remember a horrid thing that I did in junior school (aged about 7) whereby we took pennies to school to help little black babies get to heaven. How horrid and nasty was that? Has coloured my whole thinking ever since and shouldn't have done so. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I still hate and mistrust organised religion of any persuasion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
24-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

that is lovely, its not something i do just now but i would definately have a think about it now!

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
No Kazz - but it's a huge great good thing to do and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I have never thought of doing it "for real" - I remember a horrid thing that I did in junior school (aged about 7) whereby we took pennies to school to help little black babies get to heaven. How horrid and nasty was that? Has coloured my whole thinking ever since and shouldn't have done so. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I still hate and mistrust organised religion of any persuasion.
So do I religion is meant to bring peace and "something" not cause harm, or upset. I am not religious in so far as church going but my understanding is religion should be based on love not hate.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

I did many years ago, Kazz; I sponsored a little girl in Indonesia. This was before I bought the house, and when money was quite tight in the early years of the mortgage I dropped out. And unfortunately never started again as things became financially easy. It was a good feeling to know you were helping a child .....well dome, you!

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I did many years ago, Kazz; I sponsored a little girl in Indonesia. This was before I bought the house, and when money was quite tight in the early years of the mortgage I dropped out. And unfortunately never started again as things became financially easy. It was a good feeling to know you were helping a child .....well dome, you!

I agree it is a nice feeling but more if you are alone in the World I think knowing someone somewhere cares is a nice thing. Must say though I do write monthly and send birthday and christmas cards, and send small thing like stickers. Anything larger I am under the belief will not get past the many hands it passes through. I do not do it to feel good because I feel I get back than I give.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

That's a very kind thing to do Karen and must make a lonely little girl feel that someone somewhere cares.

We used to do this at primary school - maybe mine was more altruistic than Angie's (but nevertheless a Catholic convent school) each class sponsored a child and sent money, little gifts, pictures and photos over to African children.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #8

What a lovely think to do Karen, I bet you make that little girl smile.

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
What a lovely think to do Karen, I bet you make that little girl smile.
And every child should know nothing but smiles.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
25-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

Mmmmm - I've often thought about sponsoring a child - my parents do now. I'm just not in the right place right now. Maybe, some point in the future...

Having Cloud rather precludes me from adopting another little one at the moment - however inexpensive their care actually is in real terms...