Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #21

Re: Cat needs good vibes!

I, too, must apologise for missing this thread Eileen.
You've had plenty of good advice - just thought I'd add my experience. My two old birds went within a year of each other, Tizzie from kidney failure and very quickly. Don't know if you remember - she was poorly, I took her to the vet, he said - we'll do a blood test for kidneys but don't panic she looks great her levels were enormously high and she was pts straight away, aged 18 but with no history of 'illness' before her final few days. What I'm saying is that she must have been developing it, over time, for a good time before the end but was pretty much symptomless, certainly not ill.
Then Min took ill, aged 15, I took her to the vet who said...burble burble kidneys .... and I said right, pts, don't want her suffering. He said no no, she'll be OK. She was hospitalised for 48 hours, given intravenous fluid and remained well on 1 blood pressure tab per day for the rest of her happy life and showed no trace of raised crf levels just a couple of weeks before her eventual demise with the big 'C'.
So, as others have said, don't panic and don't look on the dark side.
Fingers crossed and extra vibes for being so late.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #22

Oh Eileen by the way Cleo sends big hugs to Kate.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #23

Kazz. thank you so much for this! Am going to forward it to Carolyn after I've talked to her, hopefully tonight. We were both pretty much in a funk when we talked...crying, etc, .... so don't really know as much about Kate's condition as I would like to. Kate's only 16. All the information and the healing vibes sent have meant very much to me...thank you all so much! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #24

I would just like to add that there are no rights or wrongs as far as treatment or no treatment is concerned. The principal guideline is Kates quality of life and no one, no one, is a better judge of that that the owner/carer. As Kazz has said, make informed decisions and choices. CRF is not always the end of the world and as we all know cats are masters of disguising illness for as long as they possibly can.
With Winston, it was my choice to learn as much as I could and treat as best I could.
I always beleived that I would never have Winston pts unless he was in pain but I learned along the way that this was a losing battle and there are agonies other than pain that beg releif.
It was my decision to treat his conditions and Winston made that an easy decision for me as he was always a gentle and trusting cat and I beleive that without the treatment I gave he wouldnt have been around as long as he was. That said his quality of life was good up until the last few weeks of his life.
Each cat is different and each cat will respond differently, my advice to Kates mum is to trust her judgment as to what is best for Kate.
Still wishing her all the very best xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #25

I'm sorry I'm a bit late in answering this but loads of good thoughts and vibes coming your way.
I hope you have some good news by now. Such a stressfull time for you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #26

I agree with everything Elaine has said.

Oscar was not put to sleep due to pain and I am sure could have lived another few months but my choice was he went with dignity and without ever having to experience the illness that was slowly but surely parting us I am sure he did not feel ill ever and for that I am happy same with Cleo now. I will know when her time has come. Ad I have said before better a day to soon than a day to late.

Karen