Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
07-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #1

Dragging butt across carpets/blankets

My cat Sunny is a 1 year old male. He has been dragging his butt from time to time on the carpets and even my bed sheets! and getting them a bit "dirty" with some fecal matter that I have to clean up. Is this normal? Should I take him to the vet? I am thinking about taking him today to the vet. I called the vet and he said that it is not normal and that he needs to give Sunny a shot. He said that he has an itch which makes sense of course. Sunny does this from time to time, not continuously. Has anyone ever experienced this with their cat? is it his diet? We feed him fancy feast and science diet dry food for adult. Also, is it okay to feed him raw tender pork? We give him some sometimes- like every other day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
07-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #2

Re: Dragging butt across carpets/blankets

I wouldn't feed raw pork. Trichinosis and the enterocolitica-bug may be rare, but I'd rather not push my luck. Having said that, the chances are minute, and my information may very well be outdated. I know it's a long time since I was told raw pork is best avoided (both for people and pets).

Rover has used the carpets to wipe his bum once. He had a sticky stage of diarrhoea. I think Sunny may have clogged anal ducts (more common in dogs) if cats get that? which would be itchy and would need a vet to have a look at it. The treatment would solve your problem.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #3

Sunny could have a sore bottom or could be troubled by his anal glands ........ this link may help you ....... http://www.petplanet.co.uk/vet_answe...?thread_id=384

I wouldn't feed raw pork either

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #4

My Woody used to do this and he had problems with his anal glands.
I have also witnessed Winston do this at one stage but it wasnt a continuing theme.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #5

Hope you get to the "bottom" of this!! Cant offer any advice although I thought of worms????? Can cats get worms that itch their bottoms???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #6

My cats do this very rarely, but it does happen sometimes and I put it down to an itch. I think the anal gland theory is a good one though and I would have your vet check him out.

Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #7

Cat anal gland emptying is a very stinky process! Beware!
Could he use more firbre/fiber in his diet, to bulk his stools and empty the glands as he defaecates, which is what is supposed to happen?
Some canned food available in the US has pumpkin, which is a good ingredient for bulk. Otherwise maybe you could just add just a little dry oat bran or similar to his wet food?
Anyway, sounds like a trip to the vet initially, to make Sunny more comfortable.
Good luck. Please let us know how he gets on.

Oh - I wouldn't feed anything raw pork either. Maybe 'folk memory' from pre-refrigeration times but ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

If he were a dog I would say his anal glands need emptying as this is a classic sign. However, I haven't heard of this in cats, but I don't see why not!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
07-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #9

I once knew someone who's dog used to drag his bottom along the floor and this was due to anal glands. He used to take a regular trip to the vets to have them 'emptied!'.

As for pork, I have never given it to my cat because it apparently bad for dogs - so i wont risk it with my little baby!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
07-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #10

Thank you all for your comments! Unfortunately, Sunny is my mom's cat and my mom has a soft heart- she always gives in. I tried telling my mom not to feed him raw tender pork but she doesn't listen. Well, I just came back from the vet! Poor Sunny, he was growling in his cage since there were dogs around. Anyway, the doctor gave him worm shots (2) and 2 pills. The doctor shaved him anal area and put his finger in his anus with some treatment lubricants (i know, yuck!) Sunny was so stressed that he ended up throwing up the 2 pills the doctor gave him along with his dry food he ate earlier! So, the doctor shoved the pills back in and they stayed in him this time. Poor kitty. His fur was falling all over the place because he was soo stressed out. He was very good though- didn't growl at the Doctor or hiss or scratch, he just tensed up a little but was good overall. The Doctor said he was cat of the day... until Sunny threw up.
Also, the Doctor weighted him and he is a little overweight. He is 13 pounds! I don't know if that is normal? But the Doc said Sunny needs to lose some weight 1-2 pounds. All together, my bill was $86 which isn't bad I think? or not. I have to check with the Doc again in 3 weeks. I really think it is that raw pork- it made Sunny fatter and probably constipated. Now I have a REALLY good excuse to tell my mom- "The Doctor said don't feed him pork- it will kill him with heart disease and constipation and itches"...I hope this will work