Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #1

hurt keanus tail! broken??

well i dont know how i did it, but i must have. Keanu's tail was bleeding all over the place this morning after a trapped it between the wall and a lamp by accident. theres blood all up the walls, doors etc. Anyway, it stopped bleeding and at first he was holding half of it limp. He doesnt seem to be holding it as limp now, but it does feel like theres a lump there now... like a broken tail feels. Is it possible its just swollen?

Im not sure if the vet is open tomorrow.

do u think i need to take him or see how it goes??

he isnt at this present time insured as his free insurance ran out a couple of weeks ago and its been so hectic here that i havent gotten round to doing it. not to mention the card we were going to put the insurance onto has been lost and my OH hasnt ordered a new one yet.

anyway, thats not the point. if he desperately needs the vet i'll take him anyway.

does anyone have any experience of this? should i be worried? he seems ok in himself and is eating etc. doesnt find it as painful to the touch as he did this morning.

any advice appreaciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #2

Re: hurt keanus tail! broken??

I would definitely get him to a vet Jenny, if its limp could wll be broken....Poor baby, it must be painful for him....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #3

It could just be swelling that is making it limp but if it were me I would get the vet to have a look at it. Your vet will have emergency cover if they are not open. The fact that it has been bleeding suggests there is a woulnd that might need antibiotics.

My only experience of a tail problem in cats is years ago when one of mine came home in extreme discomfort with a totally limp tail. An x-ray revealed a slipped disc which was given time to recover. The vet wasn't hopeful that she would regain use of her tail and said that if she didn't then amputation might be necessary but luckily she did regain full use of her tail although it was weeks and weeks before it was back to normal again.

Good luck and let us know how Keanu goes on Jenny x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #4

Hard to tell from the description if it's broken or just swollen, but I'd definitely get him into the vet to be seen; don't like the bit about the blood. Better safe than sorry! Years ago I accidentally closed the door just as my Siamese was swishing his tail and it got slammed on hard...wasn't broken, thank goodness, but very painful and swollen. Poor Keanu!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #5

I say vets - just to get a professional opinion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #6

If there was that amount of blood, whether broken or not I'd be going to the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #7

Hope things are improving today Jenny.
Poor Keanu and hugs to you - remember that accidents do happen and don't beat yourself up

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #8

well i phoned the emergency vet and they said my normal vet it open tomorrow, so im going to take him in tomorrow. they said they will prob have to take an xray and stuff to see if its broken.

if its not broken. will they be able to tell without an xray? he seems ok in himself, but still holding his tail limp.
oh i hope its not broken, he had such a beautiful tail

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #9

They'll need an xray to tell if anything has been fractured. Tomorrow will tell. Good luck.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #10

Good luck at the vets tomorrow Jenny, I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious....