Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 female medium hair domestic
01-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #1

Help

I brought Alex to the vet the other day becasue he wouldn't let us touch him and he was straining to urinate. The vet said that they would keep him for 2 days on a catheter and that I could then take him home (should have been today). I went to get him this morning and was told that he wasn't ready to be released and that he was still straining even though the catheter had been removed. The doctor said that he thought that some muscle relaxers would get him going and that he could come home Monday. Well, I had to leave town for the day but when I returned home, I had a message on the answering maching telling me that the catheter must be reinserted and that the doctor will try again to reach me later (even though I gave them my cell phone number) to tell me what needs to be done. My question is............if Alex is at the vet but the doctor never reached me to get permission to reinsert the catheter, does that mean that nothing is being done to help Alex. It's Saturday and by the time I got the message, the office was closed. I'm really worried, as I know that blockage is an emergency situation and if they aren't going to do anything until I talk to them, they may not call until Monday. Not sure what to do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #2

Re: Help

Missy, not having any more background that what you posted, not sure what to say. But blockage from cystitis in a male can be very dangerous, so I'm sure if he needed catheterization they would have gone ahead and done it even without your explicit authorization. Worrying that they didn't call your cell phone...please let us know how Alex is doing!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #3

I hope you get a call from the vets today to let you know what is happening. I'm sure they are doing everything necessary to help Alex, I have everything crossed here that he will back home with you soon. Please let us know how he is x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

Oh dear, I can understand your worry but I am sure the vet will do everything to help Alex, with or without your permission. Do they maybe have a sunday morning surgery for emergencies? If so you could probably call them for an update on Alex condition.
Wishing you and Alex all the very best xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #5

One of the other members on here has been through something similar recently..

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=20156

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #6

I'm sure your vet would have done everything necessary to help Alex even though he couldn't contact you at the time...

I hope you hear from the vet soon to find out how Alex is getting on ......please let us know how he is....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #7

I do hope Alex is fine. I would hope your vet has done what is necessary to help him ... surely it would be unethical to allow an animal to suffer unnecessarily?
I had a cat many years ago who suffered urine retention - acupuncture helped him greatly (plus medication) - he never needed catheterisation and only suffered with it for a short time - maybe 3 or 4 attacks and then no more, ever.

Cats owned: 1 female medium hair domestic
01-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the support. I will update you all as soon as I talk to the vet tomorrow.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #9

Hope Alex is fine I also had a male cat with Feline Cystitis its a pianful thing but I am sure the vet will do his best to help Alex even if he couldn't get in touch with you.... Let us know how everything goes

(((((((HUGS))))))) wendyxxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #10

I hope alex is ok. Simons is the cat in the thread above. He has had at least 3 bouts of bladder trouble and the first time exactly the same happened he had to be re cathiterised a couple of times. His last bout was wednesday last week He just became ill so quick he has had to change his diet and has had to take penicillin and diazipan to make him relax. I am sure that they will do what they have to do to make him well. Simons beign more of a cat now then before he meows and has become more a lap cat than ever. PM me when your next on if want to talk. where all here for you and alex. The people on here support me evertime simon's ill amd i know they will you.

Love jane kado Guinness Simon and kay
x x x