Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies!
26-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

Tigger has Flu!!!!!!

Took my Tigger to the Vet today and they say he has cat flu! He is not innoculated (for various reasons, he is 8 but we have only had him 2ish years, he was castrated when he moved in but when questioned the vet told us that in order to innocuate him, we would first have to have him tested for various horrific illnesses, having known a cat with FIV, my OH didn't want to know if Tig did or now, hw was showing no symptoms and he really didn't want to spend the next few years treating Tig differently form our other cat because we knew he would get ill one day and wanted to prevent it) and we have been told it is very early.

In fact OH was mocked a little by vet for bringing him in, he has been sneezing a little for the last couple of days and has a very slightly runny nose. Apparently people only usually bring their cats in when they have gone all gunky.

They have given him antibiotics and they say that he'll probably - hate that word - be fine. But its cat flue, of which my only experience is kittens & Rolf. So I am a little worried

Has anyone had a cat that was OK after having this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #2

Re: Tigger has Flu!!!!!!

Poor Tigger - hope the antibiotics soon have him feeling fine again.
No I've no real experience of flu. My old vet had a burmese who he rescued when he had a very bad flu and basically had candles running from his nose all the time (nice!) But he was otherwise fine.
I have the feeling that flu is much more serious in the very young/very old or otherwise unhealthy. Much like humans. But I have no science or experience to back it up.
Hope someone will be along soon to reassure you.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #3

I've no experience of Cat Flu either but just wanted to say I hope poor Tigger will be better soon.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #4

I hope Tigger starts to feel better soon. Cat flu tends to be much more serious in kittens and elderly cats so hopefully a course of antibiotics and Tigger will soon be on the road to recovery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #5

Fingers crossed for Tigger, I'm sure he'll be fine after the a/b's!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: dsh
26-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #6

ah hope tigger gets well soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
26-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #7

really hope he gets better soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #8

I've had no experience with this also; do hope the AB's will have him well very soon. Let us know who he's doing, please....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
26-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #9

I also understood from my vet that it is really only dangerous in the very young/old or infirm, so I'm sure Tigger will be fine given time.

All the best to him (and you!).xxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabby's: Tiki & Inki
27-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #10

Hope Tigger gets better soon. If your interested in some good reading on how suppliments help booster a cats immune system to deal with things like infections & virus, there is a book by a vet called "The Very Healthy Cat Book" by Wenell O. Belfield, dvm. I have had my cats on his suppliments & I feel they have helped with their condition. Tiki had FUS & when he got an unrelated illness this year, they tested his urin & it was totally clear of crystals. He gets a vit C combo Vit. & Carpon for the FUS.

My other cat Inky had an infection from a cat fight but never ran a temp & I believe it was because of the vit C he's been on.

Just thought I'd tell you about this.