Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
12-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Pandora is calling???

I've been assured that Pandora has been spayed, she has a patch of fur missing but I can't feel a scar. Since yesterday she has been rolling and rubbing and been very vocal, whilst petting her she's lifting her back end and tries to tread. Could she be in a phantom heat? I mentioned in yesterday on the daily thread but it's continuEd today and she sounds so distressed but it's not a typical yowl of a calling queen. I remember that with Posh, OMG that was bad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Re: Pandora is calling???

I've had a quick trawl of the web PP and there's not much information that I could find that was particularly helpful. I guess the first Q to ask is whether she has actually been spayed ...... did the rescue shave her and find the scar? If not, she probably hasn't been done.

We've all heard of phantom pregnancies, but I've not heard of phantom heat ........ could she just still be distressed because of her move and the work you've been having done at home?

Could a vet check be in order?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

Absolutely no idea what to say I would get back in touch with the rescue and ask was she spayed - there is no way to know is there without either seeing the scar. Never had a female cat that has been in call at all Cleo was done at 5 months'ish

Maybe she is just a "flirty cat"

Catsey Veteran

13-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #4

Hi Angie, and Kazz, she was checked by the vet when she had her vacc but like me, I assume, we saw the shaved area and I told her that Pandora had been spayed by the rescue. Last night after a few chirrups, she settled down to sleep. I don't think it's connected to an estrus now, just as you say, the move to a new home, the workmen being around and our living arrangements changed. She is a very vocal cat and both she and Pearla love to play fight and chase. Posh is all very aloof and most of the time lets them get on with it but doesn't like it when they get too close.

I think I'm going to have to learn to 'chill' around these cats otherwise I'll be stressed myself

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Hi Angie, and Kazz, she was checked by the vet when she had her vacc but like me, I assume, we saw the shaved area and I told her that Pandora had been spayed by the rescue. Last night after a few chirrups, she settled down to sleep. I don't think it's connected to an estrus now, just as you say, the move to a new home, the workmen being around and our living arrangements changed. She is a very vocal cat and both she and Pearla love to play fight and chase. Posh is all very aloof and most of the time lets them get on with it but doesn't like it when they get too close.

I think I'm going to have to learn to 'chill' around these cats otherwise I'll be stressed myself
Remember pets are supposed to be calming and stressbusting not stress causing.

I would leave them alone and let them get on with it, too much caring is good but not alwasy productive - mind you just because I say it to you does not mean I live by those rules myself......

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Changed my mind again ! Pandora is def in heat, three nights of calling and exhibiting all the signs, so I will be calling the rescue co-ordinator tomorrow and the vets where her first lot of vaccs were done to see what's what. I'm not angry but confused, why has she been shaved? I can't feel a scar, did they forget to do her?

Must get her done asap, she must be exhausted- i know I am I've been up since 4am, on and off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

So sorry to hear of your distress PP, and Pandora's too. Hope you can get her done asap. I'd have a strong word with the rescue, they've presumably taken someone else's word for her having been done as fact and not checked properly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

sorry to hear about pandoras distress. I was told when we were looking at getting Harris we were told he had been neutered. found out on the day we went to get him he hadnt been so we had to arrange getting it done. I love my rescues but I dont always feel that the rescue centres know the full details of the cats. I would certainly speak to them about it if she is showing signs of not being spayed