Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Grieving Kitten

My beloved boy Merlin died a month ago after being hit by a car. I'm still devastated at the loss.

Last year we adopted a kitten, Tiffany, and while Merl wasn't too happy about her, she absolutely adored him and would follow him everywhere. She's incredibly sociable and since he's been gone, she's changed so much. She lies on the sofa all day, often asleep but sometimes just staring into space. She only goes out to toilet and is desperate for my affection, as though she can't get close enough to me, when previously she always preferred my other half. And when she's sitting on my lap, she just stares up at me in the most heartbreaking way.

Merlin was the first animal I've owned that was just mine as opposed to family pet, and now I know how that loss feels, I'm hesitant to get another cat. But Tiffany seems to be so sad and lonely and she's only just turned 1 so I'm wondering whether we should consider another cat for her sake. Is there anything we can do to help her be happy on her own or will a sociable cat always crave kitty company?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #2

Re: Grieving Kitten

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is still early days and you must be feeling raw.

Cats are generally solitary animals but a kitten that is used to an older cat around must be feeling lost just now. You could try and fill the gap yourself and play with her, and become her focus or you could get another kitten, rescue centres are desperate for homes. I would wait a bit if you can though to make sure it's the right thing for you. I am sure that Tiffany will adapt more easily than you. You have to be sure that you want another cat. It is a commitment as all of us who care for our cats know and it really does have to be right for you.

My thoughts are with you. I know what it's like to lose a beloved cat although not in the traumatic circumstances of your own loss.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
06-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Thanks Angie. We are giving her lots of love although she doesn't seem to want to play with us much at the moment. I'm not really ready for another cat yet I don't think but I didn't realise how much emotion a cat could convey without making a sound.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
06-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Sorry to hear your sad story, in a strange way it's endearing that tiffany is pining for merlin, lots of love and dish out plenty of cat cuddles x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #5

So sorry for your loss, i do so feel for you all.when the time is right you will know if you want another wee cat or not x