Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2 toms and 3 females
30-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Cat took kittens away

Hi I have a problem I would like your advice on please. My cat bubble had 2 kittens between 3 n 4 weeks ago, and all has been well up to now, she has been happy is her box and very attentive to the kittens. Yesterday she kept taking 1 out of her box and trying to go outside with it, we were worried and stopped doing this and put the kitten back, but she had other plans, and whilst we were not watching her she has taken both kittens out of the box and taken them outside in the garden and put them under a bush just where its difficult for us to get to. We have observed her going back n forth to this bush so were pretty sure she is still feeding them and looking after them, so do we try to get to them and bring them back indoors and should we butt out and leave her to it.

Any help or advice most welcome thank you

xx Lisa xx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
30-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Re: Cat took kittens away

Lisa you have 2 kittens, right? And only recently the mother has started to move them.

The mother cat is trying to tell you something, she is either not comfortable where she is (too hot, - recent weather has been very hot-, cold, too noisy, too much human traffic, other threats such as dog or cats etc'), OR the kittens she is putting outside are unwell, and her natural instinct would be to let nature take it's course for the weak.
If the mother is otherwise in very good health I expect it's the former and not the latter and that there is something genuinely disturbing her and making her feel under threat. Only you can say what you think it might be and make steps towards making her and her little family feel comfortable and secure again.

I hope this helps.

30-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Hi, thank you for replying, yes where she was in her box there is human traffic and also other cats, so likely it could be the problem. I'll move her box to a quiet room and see if she is happier there. Thanks again

X Lisa X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

I agree with Truth', as a small but very significant sideline, do you intend to have mum cat spayed? She will come into call again very soon, especially if there are entire tom cats around.

30-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Yes Iam going to, ings t I'm going to have all my cats done

X Lisa X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Ah, oh dear, none of them are done? Best keep the females separate from the males then until you get it sorted. x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
31-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #7

Glad to hear it Lisa

If you remember that for every kitten that is born, including any that 'you' bring into this world, a perfectly healthy adult cat who desperately needs a loving home is needlessly put to sleep because it can't be (re)homed, just look at the beautiful cats on the rehoming pages here...it's heartbreaking, and it suddenly makes perfect sense to neuter. The shelters are chocablock full up, they can't take any more. The responsibilty lies with the owner to do the right thing and to neuter. It saves other cat's lives. Hope Mum's acting more like her usual self now Lisa? x