Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 3 cats
deljava is Male
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Pooing in the house!!!!!!!

hi there

i am new to this !
the issue i have is two fold, first is that one of my cats(frank) has the runs, i ve tried all kinds of food, she is now on burns complete for cats which she seems to love. however she has had the runs on and of for quite a while now. she always used the litter tray with no problem, however in the last week she has strated going to the loo(poo) around the house???
i also have her mother who has given birth to 3 male kittens 3 weeks ago, the other cat(frank) is scared of the 3 wee boys. could this lead to her pooing around the house ? as in marking her area?
so my question is: 1, why would my cat have the runs???
2, why is she pooing around the house
any help/advice would be great as i am at a loss of what to do nextand apart fron the smell, we have 3 young kids to think about with regards to health/highgine issues

many thanks del.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Re: Pooing in the house!!!!!!!

hi, have you taken frank to the vets? theres maybe a medical reason behind the diarrhoea that should get checked out asap.

as for pooing in the house, maybe frank is stressed with the new additions or she cant make it to the litter tray on time, but if i were you i'd be taking her to the vets.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with Frank's toileting

Does Frank have a separate litter tray away from the mother cat and kittens?

deljava is Male
07-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #4

thanks for the replys, yeah she's been to the vets, and had the all clear. the vet put it down to the food, which we've changed/upgraded which we thought would sort it but still the same result???

the mother and frank share a litter box and the kittens have their owen one ?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #5

I was having a lot of problems with James, one of my males.
I got an extra litter box, put food where he was pooing, changed food, and he still did it in the house!

Someone told me about Johnsons Training Spray - spray it in the litter box (it's supposed to help 'attract' them to the place to toilet)....wow, fantastic! No 'accidents' since i've started using it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
07-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

does frank have somewhere she can go for space on her own? maybe set aside somewhere she can go and maybe introduce a litter tray just for her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Id add extra tray. You need a tray for each cat plus one extra.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

Have you wormed the cats? If so, I'd get her back to the vets asap, take a sample of poo with you and have them check it for intestinal parasites. If these things, parasites and or food intolerances are left untreated, they may well lead to bigger health concerns.
She may be pooping asround the house due to the kittens but I'd also suggest that she is in some pain and discomfort with having the runs for a while and now associates the tray with the discomfort.
I'd also STRONGLY recomend you have your cats spayed and neutered.

deljava is Male
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

again thanks for all the advice, she has been stayed/wormed and the mother is getting done when the kittens are 8 weeks as i was told that this is the earliest we can get her done due to the kittens and they too will be done asap. frank has her Owen space upstairs as the kittens and mother are nesting downstairs. not sure if this makes any different but the adult cat box is only used at night as we keep them in at night and they can come and go as they like during the day as rhetorically door/window is always open for them? I'll keep an eye out for that spray, if it don't help frank it may help the kittens to avoid missing the litter box

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #10

Does the above mean that the mother with kittens still has outside access? If so I'd close that window and fast as you may well find her pregnant again and very soon too. I still think you need more veterinary advise with regards to the other cat with the loose stools, let this go on too long and she will have more serious health issues as her bowels, intestines, stomache and colon may or may not be inflamed or ulcerated.

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/feline.html

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-diarrhea