Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #1

Current Cats Protection Campaign Leaflet

(This should maybe be in Debate - Mods please move if you wish)

Well, the leaflet which fell out of the magazine warned to take care in opening as there was graphic material inside. But I did (thinking maybe it was a good advertising 'hook' and the graphic material would be photogenic kitties prompting me to empty me purse). It wasn't - it's pretty nasty.

I'm not naive, I know bad stuff happens but reading nasty stories doesn't make me any more likely to donate. In fact, it's likely to make me avoid material from that source for a while.

Am I alone in this attitude? I suppose CP have done their research and are content that the leaflet (It's the Alice one) will be cost effective. I'm not criticising them - just wondering what other people think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

Re: Current Cats Protection Campaign Leaflet

I have had 2 mailshots of this particular leaflet and I heeded the warning - being fairly squeamish especially when it comes to cats and kittens. Sure I know it happens which I why I have the utmost respect for most vets, vet nurses and CP people who help the poor animals.

Of course because I heeded the warning, I didn't open the leaflet and therefore am less likely to donate any money to their appeal. I suppose it is a difficult dilemma, a charity has to persuade people that their money is needed and put to good use but I am afraid that I agree with DM.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #3

It's a dilemma I recently struggled with. I found some sad - but not horrific images of a blind street cat and considered using this when designing my leaflet last week. But in the end to reinforce the message of a 'happy neutered cat' I dediced to just stick with a neutral tabby cat image.

I personally wouldn't use extreme images because I think it does turn people away short and long term.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #4

I haven't seen this! Is it a leaflet local to you DM or countrywide?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #5

Nationwide.
It was loose inside a gardening magazine. I tried to google a link to it but didn't have any success finding it online

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #6

I havent seen the leaflet but I feel the same as you DM tbh.
I think advertisers feel that the more hard hitting the pictures, the more hard hitting the message therefore the more likely to get a donation.
Maybe they have had alot of success doing it this way and all the very best to them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
13-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

I havnt seen this leaflet and dont want too!
I hate reading about ANY animal gettin hurt, it doesn't just upset me but I remember it for years and years and years after, so therefore I wouldn't open the leaflet and im less likely to donate.

Even just seeing a dead animal in the road upsets me and the mental picture stays with me for ever.

I don't think showing a distressed animal will make many people donate either, probably more like seeing a fluffy little cute thing would though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

I agree with all of you! The pictures are counterproductive, IMO. Our Alley Cat Allies shows pics of happy cats after they've been trapped neutered and released (they work with ferals); that's far more likely to inspire me to write a check.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
13-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #9

I've seen the leaflet and tbh I wouldn't donate because of the pictures in the leaflet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #10

I've not seen it, so can't really comment. Will look out for it though.