Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #1

Venice ~ in a day

Whilst in Croatia we booked an excursion to Venice aboard the "Princess of Dubrovnik"........

The very pleasant cruise took just two and three quarter hours from Rovinj. Upon arrival we walked 2km to St Mark's Square, crossing the Academia Bridge. When we reached the square we were met with the amazing sight of St. Mark's Basilica! The gorgeous mosaics literally covered the church. We would have loved to have gone inside but the queues were long and our time was limited.

Venice is quite simply breathtaking - it has 150 canals, connected by an amazing 409 bridges of which only 3 cross the main canal.

We stopped for lunch in a quaint Italian restaurant and had to try a 'real' Italian pizza.........what a difference to the ones in this country, so mouthwatering!!

Then it was time to take our ride in a gondola. Each gondola took up to 6 people and it was just our luck that we had one jolly person who couldn't resist singing "Just one cornetto" at the top of his voice!! The temptation was just too much, so I joined in with a quick refrain......much to OH's embarassment!!. We went up and down very narrow canals with buildings towering up either side of us. It was an amazing experience and one I will never forget.....

This was our gondolier.......and we were unable to make him smile once!

Just time for a few more pics......

.........then suddenly it was time to return to our ship, so we took a water taxi for the 30 minute journey along the Grand Canal back to the harbour.

Although we were only in Venice for five and a half hours it is well worth the trip.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #2

Re: Venice ~ in a day

WOW Mags - especially the Basilica. Stunning.

(Haven't been to Italy at all. OH went to Venice for the weekend but hated it. I think that was because he was there in a February, it was foggy the whole time and he never saw the city, just the airport, an industrial esate/business park and his hotel which was between the two, and the rugby ground. My view has been a bit coloured by his experience but now I'll move to believe you!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
08-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #3

Great pictures Mags. Glad you had such a great time in Venice. We went to Italy for our honeymoon and spent a lovely day in Venice. It is truly amazing isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #4

I have been to Venice, and it is as amazing as Mags has made it look in the photos. Amazing buildings, and all the canals - just a wonderful place!

I would recommend anyone to go there - you wont be disappointed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #5

Mags - you lucky thing, I'd LOVE to go to Venice!!! Sadly with my bird phobia it's a big no-no . . . however I adore Italy and I think Venice is the crowning glory of one of the most amazing countries on this planet and your photos really do capture the 'essenza del Italia'!

And yes - a real Italian pizza is like no other pizza; superb!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Mags - you lucky thing, I'd LOVE to go to Venice!!! Sadly with my bird phobia it's a big no-no . . . however I adore Italy and I think Venice is the crowning glory of one of the most amazing countries on this planet and your photos really do capture the 'essenza del Italia'!

And yes - a real Italian pizza is like no other pizza; superb!!
Yola, I'm afraid there are thousands of pigeons in St. Mark's Square and they are literally underfoot.....it wasn't uncommon to see people accidently stepping on their tails and hearing them squawk! It is such a shame you have a bird phobia as I know you would really love Venice......the atmosphere there is fantastic!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #7

Those pictures are so great!! You're a teriffic photographer, Mags! Especislly loved the one of St. Mark's Square with the pigeons, and the shot of the steeple/spire with the bird soaring....awesome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #8

Wow! What a fantastic place, your descriptions are brilliant Mags...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
09-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #9

The pics are great, I love Italy would love to go to Venice.

....Yep I agree too their pizza's are the best! x