Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: black short haired
23-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Cat in season?

I've had my black female cat Jess from the RSPCA about six months. They said they didn't check out to see if she was spayed or not, and now that spring has arrived, she is going out more and seems reluctant to come in at night, although she's never escaped from the garden (she doesn't know how to use the cat flap at the moment, so doesn't go out on her own terms) she rubs and rolls on the ground a lot, a strange smell has suddenly developed in the living room in the past month or so as you come in through the front door into the living room, and I had a male visitor come last night looking at her through the window, which she wasn't short of comment at, making the most awful noise I've never heard her make before (a loud yowling noise).
Is that a sign that she's in season and she should be whisked to the vet for spaying?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
23-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #2

Re: Cat in season?

I think she could be in season now. She is displaying all the signs. I would take her too the vets as soon as you can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
23-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

Definitely sounds like she is starting a call, it is called a call not season in cats. You must make sure she is kept indoors with absolutely no chance of her getting out. Believe me she will try her best to get out.

Many vets will not spay a girl who is in call but have a word with your vet. If they won't do it until she has stopped her call then you will have to insure she doesn't get out. How old is she?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

It definitely sounds like it! Yes, strictly indoors till she can be spayed. And you will have toms hanging about and spraying and/or fighting! My Misty went into heat the weekend before she was booked in for the op, and oh my how she did call!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

Hello and welcome.
Just to add to what Kay has said, an entire tom may also break in to get to her also, so make sure the cat flap is very very secure.
As Kay has said call the vet and discuss it with him/her.
All the very best to you both xxx

Cats owned: black short haired
23-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies, I thought the rolling could be due to the joys of spring, but it does seem to be quite obsessive. I'll ring the vets asap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
23-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #7

Good Luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

Do let us know how things are going, Isobel.