Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #31

Re: Anyone know about home tutoring instead of school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
If the mother is happy, if the kids are happy - What is the problem? Each to their own.

I would love for Sean to be completely "happy" but it is not that simple as home tutoring.

Good on the lady who is teaching her children. If there were more parents like her in the world then it would be a better place. Most people dont care what their kids are doing.
I agree.
When I first spoke to her I wasn't sure about letting them have a dog - (the reason for me meeting her) thought it would be chaos, but totally opposite. A calm, pleasant household with very polite & mature children.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Donna, I feel for you I really do. When we first moved here from London my son was teased about his 'posh' (ha,ha) London accent. (Clarss, instead of class, etc!) As he is a bright lad he was teased about that too. We did consider changing schools, but eventually things improved and he is now a very confident 18 year old. I realise what your son is going through is different and a more serious situation. I know of a couple of people who home tutored their children, certainly worth looking into. You do have to prove to the authorities that you can completely provide for them educationally and it can be a long process. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it is not too long before your lad is smiling again. {{{hugs}}}
Thanks Kim.

Am hoping he will grow into a confident young man. He is going through hormonal changes being 13. Totally unconfident, shy little boy. And I mean little. He is also small for his age which doesnt help his confidence.

To me he is the cutest, most loving, shy little boy who is very intelligent, great footballer, super fast athlete and gorgeous - but he cant see it!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #33

Am - please don't take this the wrong way but - did you get out of bed the wrong side today? Or are you always confrontational.

Don't mean to sound rude - just asking

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-12-2005, 12:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Am - please don't take this the wrong way but - did you get out of bed the wrong side today? Or are you always confrontational.

Don't mean to sound rude - just asking
Was thinking the same!!!! Am new here so didnt want to rock the boat but as you said it I will agree!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
06-12-2005, 03:26 AM   #35

This is the third time I have tryed to post a reply and for some reason I keep getting knocked off. I dont think I have set up my wireless thingy properly. See me and technology
Anyway getting back to my son's problem. He is being bullied by a member of the school, a teacher. How do you fight that one?
Firstly teachers do have a rough job easpecially when parents cant see faults in there children but I am not one of thoes parents.
Respect isnt a right It has to be gained and it is a two way street.

The teacher, was wrong about something and just cant get passed that point. Now I'm getting on my soap box.
With a bit of help I think we can work through this, although most of the work is down to my son. I just hate what it's doing to him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #36

Jac - if it's only one teacher it seems a shame to seek to leave all the good things of school behind.
Is there no sort of mediation service or similar? Could you speak to one of the governors?
If it would be OK if he was moved out of this particular teacher's lessons could that not be engineered somehow?
He is a mature 14 year old but theree is an issue with this one person/teacher. Situations like that happen in adult life and the adult response is to avoid the person who upsets you; that's more difficult in school but I don't think it's impossible, with a bit of goodwill on both sides and everyone keeping calm and civil. Get someone to go with you to speak to the head - can't think who off the top of my head. It's not a solicitor you need, but someone with the gift of the gab who knows their way round the system. Do you know any teachers socially? That might be good. Or perhaps there's an advocate service/agency?

Good luck - hope you get it sorted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #37

Well I dont have kids of my own, but plenty of neices and nephews who visit here regularly. I cannot begin to understand how a child must be feeling and how scared they must be, if they are so physically ill at the thought of going to school.

IMO, home tuition is an excellent idea, because as it stands the child cannot be learning anything, just living in fear.

Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

06-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #38

IMO, home tuition is an excellent idea, because as it stands the child cannot be learning anything, just living in fear.

Dawn.[/quote]

Dawn that is one of the reasons I want to teach him at home. If you are constantly jumping each time someone enters the room then you cant be learning anything and his grades are slipping. I dont want him to get to a point where he gives up. Social skills are already set, so to speak in a 14 year old, I am not wanting to smother him in cotton wool, he is a well balanced, adjusted, mannered young Man who can talk to children and adults alike.
Unfortunatly there are some people in this life who are so low in self easteem all they can do is get jobs with "power" I'm sure we could all think of someone who hides behind a job or uniform! This teacher is typical for that senario. He is also head of a department, and gets personal. Which I think for an adult in his position is dusgusting.
My son started off by asking to move classes as he felt this teacher and him had a personality clash. His teachers answer to that one was that Darryle was just a child with no personality.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #39

Can he move school? Or maybe threaten the school with the newspapers and local TV, works a treat.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

06-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #40

I dont want to stir things up for him too much, He is adiment he doesnt want to move school. Even if we could get him out this teachers classes but no one seems to want to bend a little.
It has transferred from this one teacher to a supply teacher as well, you know the kind of thing, give a dog a bad name? Who is going to question what the teacher says. Ive tryed