Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2
05-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #1

Have You Ever Said

No more animals when one of yours had died? I have many times but I guess it kicks in & i get another pet after a long time without one...i think Im lost without something? Well Iv said it this time & mean it

I only have 2 rats just now & are elderly & 1 is on her way out I don't know why Im posting this cos I feel really pissed off & depressed as usually?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #2

Re: Have You Ever Said

No, I've never said it and I aways think it's a strange thing to say. Bit like 'I'll never make friends with anybody again because friends move away, make friends with other people, stop being friends or, indeed, die.' It's just illogical and also rather insulting to the memory of your departed one. I loved you, you died, I'll never have any of your kind again.

Quite understand the heartbreak and the reluctance to consider that again whilst the pain is still raw, but after a time the rawness should go and the sad, sad, memories of the end are overcome by the many many more good memories, of happier times.

Sorry if that sounds sharp - it's just my opinion.

BTW - I think you are feeling as you do because your furbabies are not in good health and you know what usually follows. But try to see past that and remember the good things pet-keeping brings. Perhaps you should look to get a cat later................. they are normally so long-lived now...20 years or more.

Take care.

Banned

05-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #3

IF you kep rats, what do you expect? They don't live all that long. That may be hard, but it's a fact.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #4

Before I got the cats a year ago, my kids had hamsters and I soon got fed up of the fact they only lived a short while. Seemed to spend most of my time worrying about their health or burying them!!

The children are so much happier now they have the cats as they know they are gonna be around for a fair while (touch wood).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #5

I have adopted several elderly cats from the rescue centre where I help out. I know I will not have them long, but I get to love them very quickly, and of course I am always upset when they died or had to be pts. The pain of losing a pet is very strong and when it is raw it is easy to say to yourself that you cannot go through that again. However, I really think that the benefits of owning our wonderful pets far outweighs the pain when we lose them and I cannot imagine my life without a cat and dog.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
06-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #6

my mum always said this when we were younger and we lost a pet but she never meant it.

I have never said this because even with the pain of losing a very loved pet I do know that it is a fact in life and the only guarantee given to us that all life will come to an end at some point. I could never cope if I didn't have my animals - they are the only ones that are always there for me no matter what.

I have also taken in 2 older animals and even though they did not live very long I would do it again just to know that I was able to give them a loving home in their last couple of years of life makes it worth while

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #7

To a certain extent I can understand your sentiments. If you suffer real upset when you lose a pet and can't really cope with the stress of the situation then maybe it IS better not to have another animal; get attached to it and them have it pass away on you.

Each to their own. I didn't have pets (other than hamsters and goldfish) for ages because of the fear of attachment and loss. However maybe my outlook/temperament has changed and I feel able to deal with the love/loss equation.

I was heartbroken last year when I experienced my 1st cat loss (but he was FIV positive and not too well) and it was a huge shock. But not as traumatic as I was dreading.

What I'm trying to say is that if you feel unable to deal with pet loss then you're no less a person for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #8

You put it well Yola, and apologies if what I posted yesterday sounded unfeeling - didn't mean that.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2
09-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #9

My wee girl was PTS

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
09-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #10

oh no - I'm so sorry