Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
21-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #11

Re: what do you feed yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Hi Jeanette! Cassie also coughs up hairballs and if I buy biscuits for her I always make sure they are for 'hairball contol'. She doesn't eat enough of them to do much good though as she prefers tinned meat. I usually grow a tray of cat grass to keep indoors for her and that usually helps her when she's coughing up the hairballs.

Well he won't eat the catgrass....... So I have to find a solution. This food is really really good. But I can't switch if I don't find something for his hairballs.

Oliver eats dry food, and have always done that and there IS hairball control in the RC, but I really don't waant to feed RC or Hills for that matter.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
21-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #12

My cats get most vegatables,cabbage ,spinach,peas ,carrots,broccili,cauliflower,pumpkin ,swede,brussel sprouts,the only thing you mustnt give is potato.I put them through a blender so you only get small lumps.They get a different mix every day so it keeps them on there toes.Takes time to prepare but looking at my cats its been worth it.I used to feed a well known biscuit at £45 a bag .This would last me just 3 weeks and my cats never had a good body weighor a coat like they have now.
SA37 is available from most good pet shops and i think its the best supplement you can give.You only need 1/4 teaspoon per cat so you dont use a lot.Mind i do.If you have a problem getting it Mags give me a shout as im in Bristol a lot.
Hairballs and Persians go hand in hand but doing as i said i havnt had a hairball for months(cats not me he he)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #13

Why don't you try Shonedek's suggestion about adding vaseline to his food or putting a bit on his front leg so that he'll lick it off? Have a look at her post above. Cassie is troubled by hairball as well so I am going to give it a try as well.

Good luck!

Almost a Veteran Member

21-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #14

you will only need to add 1/4 to his meat and mix it in.Do this every other day for 7 days then once a week will be fine.If you dont feed meat then rub on front paw so he licks it off.I dont do this with the Persians as it makes to much of a mess with their coat.You can get a hairball cream from the pet shop that you put on the paw,but it is basically vaseline.Dont use petrolium jelly not sure on this

Global Moderator

21-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonedek
Hairballs and Persians go hand in hand but doing as i said i havnt had a hairball for months(cats not me he he)
I'm so glad you were referring to your cats Sam!!!

That's a wide range of vegetables you give them....lots of goodness. With their diets you could almost sit them at the table for dinner with you and your family!!! I think I'll give it a try.

I would think the SA37 was available somewhere in Bristol but if I have any probs I'll get back to you, thanks Sam.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
21-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #16

well Mittens is a right fussy ******
she is not eatting a lot at all

i feed the dogs raw so i am now starting to think about feed her the same aswell. and the vaseline is a good idea

Global Moderator

21-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #17

Poor Mittens! We went through a stage with Cassie when she would turn her nose up at everything.....funny they'll never refuse any of your own food though!!

Almost a Veteran Member

21-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #18

when i was feeding tinned my cats would oftern walk away after having only a couple of mouthfuls leaving the plate with meat still on it.Now i cant get there dinner to the plate quick enough and the noise in the kitchen when im preparing it with all the cats shouting for there dinner.All i have now are empty plates and Persians can be very fussy.I feed the same diet to my dogs also and would change back.The results speak for themselves

Global Moderator

21-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #19

Do you find they get under your feet at mealtimes Sam? I find it bad enough with one cat!

Do you find time to eat properly yourself with all those mouths to feed?!!

Almost a Veteran Member

21-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #20

my cats are very good.They seem to know when the last knife and fork have been put on the plate ,then they pester you to put plate on floor so they can have a lick.The kittens tend to be the worst as they have to learn to wait.The worst time is when i cook whole chickens cos they know its for them.They all sit looking through the cooker door which is glass.
Yes we do eat and know its not the cats dinner.My saying is "give them the best and they will give you the best.".and weve had some cracking kittens.Waiting on a litter to be born any min .Poor mum is huge