Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #31

Re: Wet or Dry???

Thanks!..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
15-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #32

Also from what I have read about people feeding their animals a raw diet they tend to eat less food after a while.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
15-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #33

Dont think I could do the raw feeding, myself!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Also from what I have read about people feeding their animals a raw diet they tend to eat less food after a while.
Wish someone would tell my labs that Emma !!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #35

[quote=Mags]DM, there are some reasonable mincer/grinders on here....
http://www.headcook.co.uk/index.php?cPath=4_139[/quote]

I don't grind my own. Any I want ground I buy already done from Landywoods

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #36

All my animals are fed dry with occasionally raw food (and bones for the dogs), fresh fruit and veg, and cooked chicken meat. Tabs will ONLY eat dry, she is very fussy with her food, but she is very healthy for her age too

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
16-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #37

I wanted to feed mine raw, but between not being able to stand dealing with raw meat, and not being confident enough to get the right balance, I opted for HiLife, as it has the highest meat content, and the other ingredients aren't so bad either. I do have to feed PEbbles quite a bit of dry food though, she only ate dry food when she came to me 13 months ago, it took months just to get her to eat a small amount of wet, and I had her on gourmet food thinking it was the best - but then I checked the ingredients. If your lucky you will get 8% meat content, but cereal comes above that, so it could be 9% or it could be 80%. And after reading an article on what animal derivatives can be, I don't want to go with those (although I do have to for the fosters). Although I do feed biscuits, again I go for the ones with a high meat content, and where meat is the highest ingredient, so nothing can be higher. I would only feed James Wellbeloved, but Pebbles isn't that keen, so she has HiLife biscuits (both have a 26% meat content). I have read articles that dry food doesn't help to keep their teeth clean, it is the equivalent of us eating crackers - i.e. they splinter and dont' have any effect. I am also unsure if I like the fact that it makes them drink more, as that to me is unnatural - cats don't tend to have a high thirst drive. And also, since putting my foster on wet food only, he has lost a kilo and not had a recurrence of cystitis - he was on dry c/d for it and still got another bout of cystitis.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: longhair
16-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #38

Lily has the Nature diet for cats and Burns dry - she was raised on felix but having fed Murph and all raw diet for all his life I wanted Lily to have the best I could give her. i'm not sure about raw feeding for cats - any info would be welcome!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #39

This is really interesting!
My 2 are fed a mixture of dry and pouches. And in Sammys case wildlife ++! Frankie only tends to eat the jelly or gravy off the sachets! All types have been tried. Sammy tends to eat mainly dry. They are both below 5 yrs and have no health problems so far!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
18-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #40

Mine get biscuits and meat, but I might increase meat and reduce biscuits now. Mind you according to them they don't get fed at all!!!!!!!