Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

Edward will be joining us tomorrow.

We have a new cockerel joining us tomorrow, called edward. He is a black pekin and sounds lovely. He has to be rehomed because he was meant to be a girl, he was called Abigail. His owner is not allowed to have cockerels after an agreement with her neighbours, so he needed a new home. We will put him in with Buffy and Silvy, our 2 pekin girls, who came with a hen house we bought. Garcon, who is in with them at the moment, but a bit big, will join the slightly bigger girls. I hope they are all OK with the changes, but I think it is best.

We lost 4 out of 5 cockerels this last year, so will now take in a couple more to give them a chance of a happy life, nobody wants cockerels because of the noise, but we quite like it and the neighbours haven't complained yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: Edward will be joining us tomorrow.

IMO it is much nicer to wake up in the morning to a cockerel calling than an alarm clock. We noticed it when we moved here about 15 years ago as our next door neighbours had a bantam cockerel. Took a while to get used to it, but much prefer it now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

Welcome, Edward! Pics would be nice.

I had a pet chicken when I was a child who turned out to be a cockerel (quite illegally, we didn't know then it was against the law); we found out to my mom's enbarassment when a police officer showed up at the door because a neighbor had complained about the crowing! I rather liked it myself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
02-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #4

Hope Edward settles in nicely with his ladies. Please post some pics when you can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Thats a good name for a cockerel..hope he settles in well. I imagine that lots of people need to rehome cockerels due to the noise thing. You will be overrun.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #6

Well done for giving him a chance. It's a very sad situation with cockerels. I currently have lots of eggs incubating and will be faced with decisions over the boys when the time comes.

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Thats a good name for a cockerel..hope he settles in well. I imagine that lots of people need to rehome cockerels due to the noise thing. You will be overrun.
Thats the problem, you can only have so many because they will fight and the hens can get injured with lots of males looking for love, so it becomes a welfare issue. We will hopefully get some ex commercial hens and a couple of unwanted cockerels in the spring, once we move the ducks into their new accomodation.

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

meet Edward-

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

What a super looking boy! Hope he settles in well farthing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #10

What a pretty Edward