Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
06-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Creating a Bond and Confidence

Devon is doing great. He purrs when he sees me while in his crate and rolls over to show me his belly for a rub, but once he's out he is much more timid and does not interact with me. I always have him loose with Cheddar and his confidence level increases with him.

I want to build more trust between us and increase his confidence on his own but not sure how to go about it. Should I just let it be and let him come to me when he wants (which is never when loose with Cheddar), or have him loose on his own every now and again?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
06-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

Re: Creating a Bond and Confidence

In my experience nervous cats have always come to me when they wanted to, on their terms. I had a very nervous ginger she, Priddy, who you could only stroke with one hand and would never be picked up or approached if I was stood up. After I'd had her a few weeks she would tentatively come and sit beside me. If I put my hand out to stroke her she was off. Eventually she would curl up on my knee and sleep and I could stroke her with one hand. She never got any bolder and I had her for 13 years. I think Devon will come round and be much less nervous in time. He's only a baby and has plenty of time. Priddy was adult when I got her and had been badly treated so I consider myself very lucky that she trusted me so much. I think you've done a fantastic job with Devon and Cheddar and it shows in how they interact with you.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
07-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
In my experience nervous cats have always come to me when they wanted to, on their terms. I had a very nervous ginger she, Priddy, who you could only stroke with one hand and would never be picked up or approached if I was stood up. After I'd had her a few weeks she would tentatively come and sit beside me. If I put my hand out to stroke her she was off. Eventually she would curl up on my knee and sleep and I could stroke her with one hand. She never got any bolder and I had her for 13 years. I think Devon will come round and be much less nervous in time. He's only a baby and has plenty of time. Priddy was adult when I got her and had been badly treated so I consider myself very lucky that she trusted me so much. I think you've done a fantastic job with Devon and Cheddar and it shows in how they interact with you.
It must have felt so nice being able to pet her. That is a great accomplishment.

I just feel like he doesn't like me all that much when he is loose. Why would he be scared of me loose? Could it be that he's still not 100% comfortable out? When he plays with Cheddar, he doesn't have a care in the world, but when I approach he avoids me.

There's still no interest in anyone wanting to adopt Devon. I'm in a way happy about that though. I feel like they do good for each other. Plus my partner hasn't said anything about Devon having to go.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

Can I ask ... when Devon and Cheddar are out and playing happily together, you say that Devon doesn't approach you, does Cheddar? Or are they just so taken up in play that neither of them want to be distracted?

I'd say you are doing fine and let things happen - it's hard to be patient, I know! Have you tried feeding Cheddar wee treats by hand .... could you tempt them both together this way?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #5

With Cheddar being so bold with you I think he will teach Devon that its OK to approach you. Good idea from Angie to use treats as a bribe. I'm glad that you are thinking of keeping Devon, it could be a bit traumatic for him to be moved from his comfort zone, especially as he is such friends with Cheddar.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

I have found that little things help, like sitting on the floor (at his level) quietly reading or listening to music allows them to check you out a bit, don't make any sudden movements towards him just allow him to check you out, climb on you or whatever initially.
Also swishy toys like feathers on the end of a pole or string, something they can pounce and catch helps with their confidence and the interaction between you both.