Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
03-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

Scratching Furniture

Devon is gaining more and more freedoms around the house. He was always pretty good with not scratching the furniture but today he's been continuously doing it to the couch. At least he's scratching the couch designated for my dogs/cats, but I need to teach him that it's unacceptable before he starts doing it to all the furniture in the house. Thing is that he's timid and isn't at the point where I can whisk him away to bring to the cat furniture to scratch. I can pick him up but it needs to be done slowly and gently and I need to be cautious not to make too quick movements as he's still pretty skittish.

Any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
03-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

Re: Scratching Furniture

Devon will need somewhere to scratch Timber, at the moment he's adding his scent to the dog/cat couch because he wants to send his own message- 'I'm here too'. Cats have gland on their pads that leave their mark. You will have to watch that he keeps off the furniture the humans use, I tried lemon scented polish as a deterrent, around table legs etc.
Unfortunately it's the soft furnishings that get a battering cushions and seat covers are always picked on. I resort to plenty of covers and throws etc and buy cheap and change often.
I assume you have scratching posts around the house already, if not get some, they will prefer sisal rope to most things.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #3

I found putting a scratch post in front of where he is scratching to block it and male him use the post. I had the same issue either Harris when he was a kitten and have no problems with him now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #4

Good advice there timber- and I can't add anything. Praise him when he uses the cat furniture, and maybe offer a little treat - will he take from your hand yet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
03-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

I'm afraid we have given up- cover what you can with throws etc and don't get expensive furniture!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #6

Same here as Cats Staff.

Cats will do their own thing. x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
03-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

You can get sisal rope scratch pads that go at right angles and you can wrap them around the corner of the vertical area being scratched.
I've always used a throw over the sofa/chair being targeted, use whatever method works for you!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
04-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

I am with CS and Velvet I'm afraid. We are not tremendously house proud thank God. If there is furniture you really want to protect, double sided tape is a good idea. We have scratching posts and cardboard scratch pads which I put catnip on to encourage them. Swirl has completely ruined a big leather armchair. Luckily the Big Fooze uses all the scratchy things so it makes the others use them too. I've just thought of another idea. Maybe you could get free sample carpet squares from a carpet shop and put these over stuff you don't want scratched. I use these near the litter ttrays to stop the litter tracking everywhere.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: American shorthairs
23-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

I have a number of different kinds of scratching things. Never know which one will be the hit toy at the moment. I don't have scratching problems....Oh.. but I do have others.