Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
28-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #1

Chirping Sound

I had Devon loose for the 1st time today. I had him and Cheddar gated off in the dining room. They could easy climb it but hoped it would keep Devon somewhat contained. It did and the poor little guy was pretty stressed. He would jump around to all corners of the room trying to escape. Cheddar wanted to play but Devon was too stressed then. I put a bunch of toys in there with them and eventually he calmed enough to play with them for a bit or would be hiding behind the couch, Cheddar in tow the whole time. Originally I had all the gates open and Devon did almost enter the room with all the dogs but got spooked easily so thought it best to get him used to the freedom in smaller increments first before meeting the dogs.

I also noticed that every once in a while I would hear Cheddar make a sound I haven't heard before. The best I can describe it was like a little chirping sound. What does that sound mean? He did a couple more times after I put Devon back. Also, while Devon was playing with a toy he would growl at Cheddar. Is it because he didn't want to share? I'm going to assume that I should let them figure it out on their own right?

Devon is quite tired after today, and understandably so. Poor little guy. I will start to give him extra freedoms everyday to desensitize him, hopefully he will came around quickly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #2

Re: Chirping Sound

The chiriping sound is usually excitement, happiness and / or contentment. I would always supervise animals i dont believe in the theory of 'letting them work it out themselves 'esp if differing ages involved

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #3

My cat Kizzy always chirps at me when she comes indoors, I try chirping in response .... I figured it was a sort of greeting in those circumstances! Pip has never chirped, but meows loudly to announce he's home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
28-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Both of mine but especially Harris chirp when they sit on my windowsill in the livingroom when they watch the birds outside. Mine do.it daily

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
28-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Barnaby chirps or 'sings' all the time, especially if he's happy or mischievous. I think Devon will soon come round and calm down.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
28-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #6

Mitsu chirps watching birds out the window too!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
29-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

Swirl makes very squeaky noises, sometimes in his sleep. OH calls him Hilversum, after a radio station cos it sounds like he's tuning in!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
31-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #8

i love the little chirping sounds that cats make when they are happy.
Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with Devon.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
31-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

I've only heard Cheddar chirping at Devon. Hopefully he'll chirp for me one day