Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
26-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #1

Body Language Between 2 Kittens

I was in the kitchen when I heard a low kind of growl noise. I go into the other room and Cheddar and Devon are posturing at each other. Their tails and backs were puffed up, arched back, tail down low, and ears back. I just distracted Cheddar by sitting down and calling out to him. After a short while he came to me like he always does purring and climbed into my lap for some cuddles.

Why are they reacting this way to each other? They play all the time. Should I be concerned to just let them figure it out between themselves?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Re: Body Language Between 2 Kittens

They are getting to know each other .... and if generally they play together I wouldn't get too worried. They are boys and probably getting near sexual maturity. You may find this type of posturing increasing, at least until they are both neutered.

Catsey Senior

26-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Ok. I will try not to get too worried

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
26-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

I wouldn't be too worried Timber. Cheddar and Devon will sort out their own pecking order. One of them will end up as top cat and all will be well. Our 5 have their moments. They are all neutered toms aged between 2 and 12 years. Swirl puts up for boss with Inky and Barnaby puts up with Swirl. Fecto and The Big Fooze are very laid back and watch it all go on. Kittens will practice fighting with each other like lion and tiger cubs do in case they need the skills later on in life. It may sound gruesome but I don't think they will really hurt each other.

Catsey Senior

26-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

Very good info to know. So even when adults this happens and I should let them figure it out on their own? I can't keep Devon, but just in case he doesn't get adopted...