Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
24-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Fur pulling when near ants nest

Could ants cause discomfort to cats to the point where they pull some of their fur out? I've noticed since some ants decided to make a nest in the outside wall of the house, Ebony starts itching and pulls on her fur more than she used to, could the ants be causing her to get itchy? She's not got fleas - I keep up to date with flea and worm treatment so either she's got superfleas that don't react at all to de-flea spot on stuff for cats, it's the ants getting on her fur causing her to get itchy, or something's going on that even the vet hasn't picked up on? Last vet appointment the vet said Ebony's got a gorgeous coat on her and the only thing wrong with her is her asthma (we're getting a kitty inhaler for her because the tablets seem to only work intermittently)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Re: Fur pulling when near ants nest

Hi Phoenix ...... what brand of flea treatment do you use for Ebony? It seems that some brands are now ineffective, such as Frontline.

My other thought, which could be totally off, is eczema - in humans asthma and eczema are often found together - I know because I had both as a child. I think it's unlikely to be the ants, unless she sits somewhere and lets them get into her fur.

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

I use Bob Martin spot on treatment and as long as Ebony keeps away from the ants nest, she doesn't get itchy. If she goes near the ants nest that's when she starts itching, also the vet didn't find anything wrong with her coat or skin when she checked Ebony about a week ago (when we took her in for a checkup because I was worried)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
25-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

i have heard bad things about BM products.
Our vet recomended stronghold, i also have been told that frontline doesn't work anymore

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
25-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

We have gone to Advantage spot on because Frontline didn't work. I though the same as Angie that eczema and asthma can go together. Ants do bite and I would think make Ebony itch. They make me itch. I personally wouldn't us BM spot on, I don't think it works as well as Advantage. I get mine online, it's cheaper. Can you get rid of the ants without endangering Ebony?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

Bob Martin and Johnstones are useless and ineffective, ants bite!

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

We've got a bait station out for the ants, Ebony can't get at the bait inside it and she doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the bait station anyway, we had a bait station earlier in the Summer to kill off the ants but the bloody things came back as soon as we took the bait station away after it killed off the ants.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #8

Advocate here x