Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
21-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #11

Re: Endless Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Do you have a space and a friend? If so, I would do it as soon as possible, as they are both still young. You and your friend holding a kitten each and then put them down in front of you ......... a space between them. Maybe have some toys there too, some rolled up bits of paper for them to chase. Just watch them - a certain amount of posturing and hissing will be normal. Each of you should have a towel/cloth handy just in case. If things get aggressive, put the cloth over each kitten and take them away from each other. Just see what happens.
If they do posture, do I not interfere unless a real fight breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
At least they have seen each other. We have always introduced new cats to each other gradually. We were lucky with The Big Fooze cos he just rolled over when any of the other cats came over to him. He is completely non aggressive. Barnes and Swirl still fight with each other putting up for top cat but they don't do each other any real harm, just a bit of loose fur. Personally I am of the opinion that cats will sort out their own pecking order. We have always had a multi cat household and never really had any trouble. We have had up to 12 cats at any one time. I would suggest that you let Cheddar and Devon get on with it but keep an eye on them. They are both of a similar age and can stand up for themselves, they will sort out the pecking order between them. Good luck rehoming the foster dog.
Is it more common for 2 of the same sex to have issues? I'm assuming to let them meet loose in the house, not in the big cat crate right? Not sure if Devon is trusting me enough to be left loose for when I have to do the rotation and put him in his crate. I e-mailed the rescue to see if there's been any interest in her. Hopefully there is.

I friend said to just put them in the crate together. She said that's how she's always done it with kittens and that is also how the shelter does it. What do you guys think? Am I overthinking things? Sometimes I tend to do that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

I think you are overthinking it a bit, understandably because you don't want anything bad to happen to the kittens, so your heart is in the right place. If your friend says just put them in together, you could try it but I'd be inclined just to put them together somewhere else first so that they can sort themselves out. Cats of the same sex are more likely to have problems but not necessarily - the trouble could come when they are sexually active, which hopefully isn't quite yet. If they start hissing and posturing, don't interfere, it's their way of settling issues between them. Good luck - do it soon!

Catsey Senior

21-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #13

Thank you Angieh. I will try today then. What about the food? Should I take it out of the crate? Do cats get food aggression? (if I decide to do it that way.) Again, i'm probably overthinking it

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #14

There is a pecking order around food that cats sort out for themselves. In large feral communities, I believe, nursing queens take priority. In domestic situations I don't believe it is an issue, especially as your two little 'uns are well-fed.

Catsey Senior

21-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #15

I want to thank you all for helping Devon, Cheddar, and myself along this journey.

(I noticed the cord and moved it)

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #16

I'm so glad it worked out. They won't remember that they are brothers but hopefully their friendship will grow. Lovely photos, made me smile - bit relieved for you, too!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
23-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #17

Looks like another great job accomplished Timber. You surely have the knack with kittens. They both look great.