Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Na
06-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Nervous cat, will this help?

Hi
I have a female cat who is almost 3 years old. We had her from 8 weeks old and got her from a nice family. She has had a very good life however she is an extemely nervous cat. She's been an indoor cat for about 2-2.5 years as we used to live in a flat and when we moved to a house she's started going outside. She's always been loved and well taken care of. However despite this she has always been very nervous, jumpy at any sound. She has a brillaint bond with me and my husband but will not let anyone else touch her. We can pick her up, carry her, groom, clip nails, brush teeth etc. but if anyone else tries to pet her she will hiss, spitt and have a swing at them with her paws. Vet visits are a nightmare, she bit the vets finger! So i assume this is her personality - very nervous diposition.
So me and my husband were wondering if getting a kitten would help her be more confident?
I read that getting a baby kitten means that adult resident cat is more likely to accept it, plus she is a girl so she may get motherly with the kitten. Also if she is to form a new bond would she become a bit more confident in herself and when she is outdoors? She doesnt like adult cats she meets outside but if we were to get a kitten who she could form a bond with maybe this could help her? Like when getting a kitten for an old cat makes the old cat sping back back to life.

Please let me know what you think? Would this work or is this a terrible idea?
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

Re: Nervous cat, will this help?

I would think about getting a kitten very carefully .... she obviously feels happy and secure with you and your husband and introducing another cat may upset her completely, she will feel more insecure than ever IMO. You could try using Feliway to calm her a little, it does work for some cats but not all. Cats are such individuals and as you say it sounds like that's her personality.

If you do decide to go ahead with a kitten, I would recommend you getting a little boy because she is more than likely to take against another girl "on her patch".

I will be interested to see what others say.

Welcome to Catsey!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
06-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

I agree with Angie, a kitten could upset her. If you do get one get a tom, a she will tend to fight with another she.

I wouldn't worry too much about her being nervous with other people. I have 5 cats and only 2 are OK with other people. The 2 we got as very small kittens are the most nervous. As soon as someone comes to the door Fecto hides. He's 12 now and we've had him since he was about 8 weeks old. Swirly was never a stray or badly treated, we got him at 10 weeks old but he is very nervous. He hates loud bangs and if I or OH moves too quickly near him, he's off. It sounds like your cat is just a nervy cat but as long as she's OK with you I wouldn't bother. Perhaps Feliway would help her if she has to go to the vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #4

I wouldnt know if getting a kitten would help but i have a 4yr tortie whom we got when she was 13month, she is really timid and will run at the slightest noise, she has however been getting better with time, patience and reassurance over the last 3yrs. She will now creep into my livingroom when someone has come in which she would never do before. She will still run and hide though when the door goes but she is getting better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
06-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Hi Inle and welcome. You still have a very young cat and she's still growing up, her self assuredness hasn't come yet. Also, your home move has probably unsettled her too. Finding a big wide world out there is a challenge I'd take a while before asking her to accept another change in her environment, start by making her new home familiar and safe first. Angie mentioned Feliway, you could try that, and also give her a part of the house that is just hers and that she can hide/nest in. Cats like dark, covered places.

My Pearla was much more timid than Pandora who I had at the same time from rescue. It took a year but she's now come around and stands up for herself Hope this helps.