Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
02-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Tail wagging while happy?

We have noticed Ebony will loudly purr and seek out our affection but she lashes her tail around as well when we all know shes happy by the way she acts why does she lash her tail around when shes happy?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Re: Tail wagging while happy?

Yes Pearla does this too when she's playing and excited. She's waiting for her chance to get at your hands though but it's almost like a 'come and get it ' request when she does this. Her tail can be thrashing about and she still hangs around for more.

Posh was different, as soon as her tail flicked we knew to back off or the growl would follow, I suppose you have to know and read your cat.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

Cassie is a tail flicker which warns us that she wants to be left alone.

However, Mia my daughter's cat, flicks her tail and fluffs it out to twice its size when there is food around or she wants to play It's easy to tell when she's happy, I tell my daughter she should put her on dusting duties when her tail is like that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #4

Love the dusting duties, Mags! Kizzy does that, I call it her "flirty tail", she is always affectionate anyway but seems more so when her tail is all puffed up. I'm sure the basis of this behaviour is sexual.

I've always understood thrashing tail from side to side is a warning - back off or else and a waving gently tail is a greeting, happy sign. I bet some cats get their signals mixed up some times, like people.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #5

Inky is a tail thrasher, Big Fooz is more of a tail twitcher, just the end twitches when he's happy. Swirl is a tail swisher, so is Barnaby. Fecto is usually asleep!!

They are all tail thrashers when they are watching birds!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #6

Cat tail signs, such as a flicking tail, can mean many things. If a cat is flicking it’s tail and is crouched, it’s usually an indication that they are stalking, or watching prey, ready to pounce.
At other times, the flicking tail will indicate that the cat is annoyed and you should keep away.
A cat will also sometimes flick his tail when he is being petted even though he is purring at the same time.
In my experience, a flicking tail means caution. If you are playing with your cat, it’s a sign that they are really into playing and you shouldn’t get too close. This is a great sign, in that they are really engaged with the play and they should be interested for several minutes. On the other hand, it also means they may overshoot and hit your foot if you aren’t careful.
If you come upon your cat, and want to pet them, or call them and they sit still and flick their tail, this means that they don’t want to be disturbed. In this case of cat body language – tail flicking is a definite warning.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
12-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Ca
A cat will also sometimes flick his tail when he is being petted even though he is purring at the same time.
Cheddar does this. Does it still mean to be cautious?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
12-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

I think Cheddar is probably just being a kitten and getting up to mischief.