Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby
11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Naughty Kitten :)

Hi Guys,

Just me again!! I hope you're all well!!
I just wanted some advice regarding our youngest. She is approaching 12 weeks now. Molly and Beth are now getting along nicely most of the time. What we have noticed though is Molly keeps suckling on Beth. Beth has been spayed and doesn't seem at all bothered or interested. She isn't brushing Molly off or getting angry with her... Obviously this can't carry on but how do we stop it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Re: Naughty Kitten :)

Not sure I'd call this "naughty" behaviour - your Molly is getting comfort and security from Beth and so long as Beth doesn't seem to mind, I'd just let Molly grow out of it. I'd keep an eye on Beth, just to be sure her nipples don't get sore though.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
11-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #3

This is quite normal for a baby kitten if she's feeling a bit insecure. At least Beth doesn't mind. One of my Mum's cats used to suck tissues or your clothes. She isn't doing any harm. Angie is right, she will grow out of it. Some cats will suckle all sorts of animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #4

i wonder whether she was taken from her mum too soon.
Like FM and Angie have said she is seeking comfort.
I once found a kitten and although about 6 months old she suckled our dalmation and sometimes our clothing, particularly cream woolen jumpers. If i remember rightly she grew out of the dog but occasionaly still sucked our cloths.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #5

Agree with the others just a comfort thing. Our eldest girl still sucks my bedspread and she's nearly 4 years old.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
13-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #6

I agree with the others. It is perfectly normal, especially if a kitten has been taken away from its mother too young. My Miracle ,who was found abandoned along with her litter mates at 2 days old, loves to climb on my knee, knead away with her front paws while sucking on anything I am wearing.I find it really charming.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
13-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #7

Hi Nat, I would suggest that because a cat or kitten isn't behaving the way you want it to is not necessarily because it is 'naughty', it's just being a cat. All our cats behave differently. We have had Swirly since he was 10 weeks old and he is now 21 months old. He has never had anything bad happen to him here but he doesn't like loud noises or being picked up. It's just the way he is. Barnaby, on the other hand, lived on the street for the first 5 months of his life and the only thing he is frightened of is bin liners and he loves being picked up and cuddled.