Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: domestic shorthair (calico)
19-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Early morning wake up calls :(

My cat has always had a routine. She gets her supper and then goes to bed when we do, around 10pm. We play with her all evening and make a fuss over her also. But recently she has started scratching at the living room door between 3.30-5am. She has some biscuits and her litter tray with her so we know she doesn't need the toilet and she's always slept in that room as when we got her she took a liking to hiding under the couches for hours. It's getting ridiculous as I'm getting woken up every day and now it's effecting my partner. He's less forgiving than me! We've tried letting her roam throughout the night but she cries at our bedroom door. If that's left open she jumps on the furniture and on the bed (usually our heads) and pesters/fidgets all night. She was always a good sleeper, only meowing at around 6.30-7am and after a while getting board and going back to sleep. What has changed??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
19-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

Re: Early morning wake up calls :(

I know the feeling, I sympathise. It could be that the mornings are getting lighter and certainly the birds were tweeting loudly with us this morning.

Cats owned: domestic shorthair (calico)
19-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

I thought of this but it's the scratching. She's always been vocal, never destructive. I've tried spraying Feliway around before we go to bed but it only works temporarily. Might try some double sided tape, we use that on the kitchen counters because she gets up there too!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
19-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #4

It's hard to say what's causing this without knowing how long you have had her. Maybe it is light mornings. Something must be waking her at that time. I someone setting off to work at that time and making a noise outside? I know my oldest cat has woken me between 3.45 and 4.15 in the morning for months, luckily I don't have to get up for work. He always wants feeding then uses the tray. It doesn't matter how much I feed him at night. Something could be distressing your cat that she needs reassurance. Is she scratching to get out of the living room? Maybe she's just checking where you are. I'm afraid I'm very tolerant about being disturbed throughout the night. All our cats have the run of the house at night except the kitchen cos that's where the dogs are at night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

How old is your cat loupebbles?