Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
07-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Miracle impossibly "pregnant" again?

I'd just like to know if it is possible for a young cat to have a phantom pregnancy? I know dogs can ,but I've never heard of it happening with a cat. My Miracle is around 10 months old now and the mother of my three kittens aged 5 months. Miracle was spayed 6 weeks after the birth and was always a terrible mother.(not her fault as she was only a kitten herself). Now, she is really big in the tummy again, her sides are hard, she is "feeding" her kittens which she hardly ever did when they were tiny babies and she is MUCH more friendly and vocal than normal. She looks very pregnant, yet that is impossible. I have a vet appointment on Monday for her, but is there anything I should be doing in the meantime? She is VERY happy and eating normally.I first noticed this change in her about 2 weeks ago and put it down to the fact that I still have her on Royal Canin wet kitten food and biscuits and that they might be too rich for her now .Should I switch her over to the adult variety now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Re: Miracle impossibly "pregnant" again?

Oh dear, to the best of my knowledge it's more common in dogs than cats and I wouldn't have thought a spayed animal would have this but I am no expert.
Will have a hunt around and see if I can find any info for you.

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

http://www.vetinfo.com/phanton-pregnancy-cats.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pseudoc...ncy/page1.aspx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
08-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Thank you for your help Elaine. I have taken Miracle to my vet this afternoon as I had this terrible notion that perhaps the spaying hadn't "worked". Ridiculous, I know ,but I couldn't bear the thought of letting this wee girl down a second time.Anyway, the vet I saw did indeed feel that Miracle is having a phantom pregnancy as she is showing all the signs of advanced pregnancy. She will have a scan on Monday to rule out the unlikely possibility of anything sinister in her tummy. And I am not to let the kittens feed off her as she is now producing milk. The vet seems to think the problem will resolve itself,although some cats can actually go into labour. I pray that won't happen to Miracle as she has been through enough already.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #5

Oh poor little girl. I do hope that she can be "let down gently" if at all possible. Did the vet prescribe anything for her? I presume it is a hormonal problem (sorry I don't have time just now to read Elaine's links which might explain the situation further).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Yes, this is very sad, Miracle will be so disappointed. Maybe I'm doing some human transference thing here but I think she needs those extra cuddles right now x

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Poor wee toot. I hope it all resolves itself soon and that Miracle doesn't get too distressed.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
27-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

Cats do get phantom pregnancies, they can also have phantom 'seasons' even when spayed. I had a lovely longhaired tabby and white spayed she cat, Scrumpy, and she was always coming into season. The lad who had her before me didn't have her spayed until she was about 3. Our lurcher bitch has had to have an emergency caesarean but she still thought she had pups even though they both died in the birth canal. It did wear off after a few days. I hope Miracle isn't too distressed, I think it will only last a few days.